Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone Every Have Accidental Overspray?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Every Have Accidental Overspray?

Looks like I am going to get a fat check pretty soon..... I was parked at work at the Military Base. They were painting the water tower that you could see off in the distance that was also on base. They sent out an email to check for paint blown on your car. Well, I didn't see any, but the car was dirty. I decided to wash it last night and still didn't see any, but it was dark outside when I washed it. This morning I drove to work and looked at it again. I be damn if there is little white specks all over the car, window, paint, and my chrome wheels. I have a good wax job with Zaino Wax also, and the stuff just won't wash off. Has anyone ever had this happen, and what am I expecting to get if there is a settlement? Can a little buffing just take car of this? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

I had a little bit when I was at Dover AFB. It wasn't bad and a good coat of wax cleaned it up. Either way you should get the paperwork started ASAP. even if you can take care of it yourself. If I remember right the contractor ended up paying for some cars because they didn't put up any signs prior to spraying.

You should be covered either way being on a Millitary Base. Best advise I can give is don't wait. Get it on file and keep up with it. (you know how the Govt. is about handing out money). Good luck
Old 05-26-2004, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

you can clay bar off the paint if it is just small overspray
Old 05-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Launching!

They compiled a list of cars that got the overspray, the deadline is the 28th of May. I have already submitted my name. Now I am playing the wait game, government takes forever to get things done. This has happend before, years ago, a civilian guy got $1400 in a settlement for his F150 that time. Thanks for the info
Old 05-26-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

claybar, and about 6+ hours of your time, and she should look good as new.

cost $20

But get as much as you can out of them,... your time is worth something.

Ryan.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

I also had this problem. I just buffed the car out with some NXT and it's perfect...
Old 05-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I took a picture of it today, Last one on my Homepage Photos Gallery. You can really see the small white spots by the top of the picture. It is basically like that all over my car. Don't pay attention to the big scratch towards the bottom.

Link to Over Spray:
http://home.mchsi.com/~holsingerjm/w...0/site1020.jpg
Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bout 6 yrs ago I parked my nicely shined and waxed 96 SS @ work, and didn't notice the guys across the street paving a new parking lot. Long story short, came out to see black tar ALL OVER the car from the wind blowing.

Took the car to the most expensive high priced body shop I could find, and they paid for it. Got the best paint job in the state done for free.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got paint on my winter beater (must have drove over freshly painted lines) and got it all up and down the side of my car. Crazy as it sounds, I used an old towel and WD-40 - came right off. Threw a fresh coat of wax on afterwards.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

if its light overspray you can use a claybar, but if it is heavy and really consistant (instead of just little places here and there) you can wet sand it with a 1500-2000 grit and then use some polish after that and then apply the wax. My buddy had overspray really bad after getting his spoiler painted and thats how we removed it and it looks good as new
Old 05-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Here is what was sent out: "The contractor requested that he be given the opportunity to remove the paint before you take your vehicle elsewhere."
Looks like some people are going to be pissed. I think I just try the Clay Bar and be done with it.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Launching!

The contractors idea of removing the paint was to take them to the local carwash by appointment and have the carwash remove the paint. Now that the contractor heard our voice by being inundated with emails stating that what was suggested with the carwash is not acceptable. Now the body shops are going to be given us the estimates and checks are probably going to be cut Contractors are soooo screwed up, especially when the Government hires them.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Clay Bar Does Not Work. Damn, it gets alot of it, but some still remains. It must be the heat that was on the car really dried the overspray. I guess I will wait to find out how much I am going to be compensted.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

I worked on a car that had something very similar. Claybarring got a lot off, but not all. I ended up having to polish the rest off.

You might also try some Klasse All-in-One fromwww.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html - It is a very good chemical cleaner with no abrasives in it.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man, sorry to hear about that! I hope they take care of it for you!
Old 06-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Have an update now. They are having a company come down from Atlanta and hand wash/clean all the vechicles. They are going to be here for like 2 months. I stopped and looked at a newer Silverado they were doing. They had Clay Bars, and some little plastic/rubber tools cleaning the crap out of the whole car. It looked like it was sitting on a dealership when they go through! They had 4 people doing it, and it takes them about 3 hours of cleaning for each car. They also had a whole crapload of different cleaners for different surfaces. Can't wait to get my car in there. That would be one hell of a prep for a good coat of Zaino.

Quick Reply: Anyone Every Have Accidental Overspray?