Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

upgrade from 98 hatch release to 99+

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default upgrade from 98 hatch release to 99+

Anyone know if you can just swap the 98 hatch hold down thingy(real technical here) with a 99+? mine makes all kinds of noises and dont release good at all, tried messing with the stops to no avail.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

You can piggyback a new spring onto the old one to fix the release issues. This fixed mine, but it has drawbacks: Instead of having to hit the button 5 times to get the hatch to open I now have to give the hatch a good slam or I end up trying to close it 5 times. I'd much rather have to close it harder though. Check out the writeup on installuniversity.com
Old 05-28-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 98 hatch release does not use a spring/latch setup. It's a solenoid actuated setup with no external or visible springs on which to piggy back.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
You can piggyback a new spring onto the old one to fix the release issues. This fixed mine, but it has drawbacks: Instead of having to hit the button 5 times to get the hatch to open I now have to give the hatch a good slam or I end up trying to close it 5 times. I'd much rather have to close it harder though. Check out the writeup on installuniversity.com
thats the whole point, the 98 release does not use the springs like the 99+ do, we added a spring to my friends 99ss but when i went to add to mine i was like wtf? i want to upgrade, anyone know??
Old 05-28-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hourang
thats the whole point, the 98 release does not use the springs like the 99+ do, we added a spring to my friends 99ss but when i went to add to mine i was like wtf? i want to upgrade, anyone know??
Sorry, I guess the point I was making is that the problem still persists in the 99+ releases. I didnt realize it wasnt "fixable" in the 98's though. Sorry for my confusion. Surely somebody else has done this.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well, looking up the part number for a replacement hatch release for a 98 shows thats its the same as 99-02, unless you have the emergency release on the inside, then it gets the 2nd design of hatch releases. So it looks like a direct swap (part number wise).
Old 10-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Teching In

mine opens fine, but is nearly impossible to close. It does not latch untill you hit the release button 50 times and keep slamming it.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car makes a "clunk" noise when going over bumps in the road. I don't think its the suspension. It sounds like its coming from the hatch area. I adjusted the rubber stops outward to put more pressure on the hatch but it still makes the noise. What gives?

Andy
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
My car makes a "clunk" noise when going over bumps in the road. I don't think its the suspension. It sounds like its coming from the hatch area. I adjusted the rubber stops outward to put more pressure on the hatch but it still makes the noise. What gives?

Andy
I had the same problem, and I also tried adjusting the rubber stops outward. Turns out I think I went too far, so I screwed them in a bunch and now no more rattle. Its worth a shot.

Quick Reply: upgrade from 98 hatch release to 99+