Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car goes on a Diet, looking for ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car goes on a Diet, looking for ideas

what are some ways you can think of that without defacing the car i could drop some weight on her.

Carbon fiber parts are currently not an option, but will be added as the final finishing touch.

So far the rear seats (buckets and back support with seat belts) and the spare tire and jack assembly are out. Weighed it on the scale to a nice 74 LBS.

Removing the air pump piping and assembly= maybe a few lbs?? not really worth it but will be done.

A Titanium exhaust system can easily save you 38+ LBS, but its going to be crazy expensive, but i guess you do end up killing 2 birds with one stone and you get an exhaust out of the way on the mods list.

I was thinking about getting rid of the front bumper and replacing it with a welded piece of tubular bar, from what i have heard the stock front bumper weighs 40 Lbs, replace it with an 5-8 Lbs aluminum tube bar = 30+Lbs

Racing seats as apose to the stocky's would probably be pushing a 50LBs save ... i personally am gonna put of on this because i love the stock seats but future events may change my mind...

Rear bumper??? havenet heard anything about that but maybe atleast 20 Lbs im thinking, or hell it might be equivalent to the front bumper

Maybe the A/C it weighs close to 100 Lbs the whole assembly and ****, but would that be worth it for the confort it provides....

32Lbs for swapping with a new K-member and if i remember correctly another 10 was it for A -arms?

If you go through with all of the above you are probably looking at a good 360LBS reduction

Once the above are done, i guess you can go with the more hardcore and pricier carbon fiber dash, and carbon fiber body parts but thats going to hurt your wallet.

these are some things i compiled what else could i blast outa the car to drop some weight??
dont want to deface anything or rip apart panels and ****, id like it to look nice still...

What makes the corvette so much lighter than the f-body??
I know the new commemoritive vettes have carbon hoods,
they also dont come with spare tires, or rear seats.
and the z06's from my under standing have titanium exhaust which arenet the lightest of them all, but are lighter than the stainless steel units

but that only makes up for a small amount of the weight, vettes are 3100LBs and f-bodies are up towards 3500+ which makes a difference of 400+ Lbs
Old 05-31-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe vettes way in around 3300 lbs not 3100 lbs.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Z06's weigh in around the 3060 range.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:36 PM
9 Second Club

Your weight estimates are WAY off and so is your scale. The backseats, belts and spare and jack all together are around 35-45lbs not 74lbs. Front bumber is 21lbs..back bumper is 19lbs..A/C is 30lbs..air pump is 5-8lbs..k-member is around 20lbs...racing seats (reclining ones..not the fixed plastic or aluminum ones) only save about 8-15lbs a seat compared to the stockers ..and there are no carbon fiber dashes, but there is a fiberglass one...

As for exhaust a true dual setup depending on what mufflers u use will drop 20-30lbs and they'll only run ya $300-$500
Old 05-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Closed: Wrong Forum

There is a complete list of weight reduction in the drag racing forum.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/17319-weight-reduction-list.html

Quick Reply: Car goes on a Diet, looking for ideas