Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

F#CKING TREE SAP - how do I get it off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F#CKING TREE SAP - how do I get it off?

Unfortunately, my car is usually parked under a tree this spring. I washed the car this weekend and could not get some of the sap stains out no matter what I did, even with some TurtleWax Bug & Tar Remover. I'm wondering - should I wash the car with Dawn and strip all the coats of Zaino off to try to clean the spots? Is there some other product designed for this situation I should use to get these spots off without damaging the paint? I hate to push hard on a NBM car and get swirls....

HELP
Old 06-01-2004, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a claybar...
Old 06-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Launching!

I had tree sap on my truck and the only thing that would get it off was a claybar. I tried everything else and I had no luck.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

wow, thats weird that bug and tar wont work. but yeah you gotta dawn it then claybar. and btw, with is an NBM camro?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you had enough coats of zaino the sap should come right off, unless its in clumps. if its specks and it doesnt come off with a carwash or z6 you can dawn it then use the tree sap remover, goo gone should work too. when i used zaino a few years ago the sap would wipe right off. just fyi
Old 06-01-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would try a claybar...
Old 06-01-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

try goo gone stuff is wonders
Old 06-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaljohn
and btw, with is an NBM camro?
Navy Blue Metallic.

My original thought was the bug & tar followed by claybar. Hmm... are they little spots or clumps?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally got it off - thanks for the responses - I used the Clay Bar, kept going right over the stain and it would not do jack. Then I used a different Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover (in a green spray bottle) and it worked great. Maybe the other stuff I had in the blue/white metal container was old or something....

by the way - anyone have a good experience with this "clay bar" - I've used it on a few of my cars and never saw any "contaminents" it picked up or any noticeable improvement anywhere. Worthless to me, overhyped ball of clay....
Old 06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mako22
....by the way - anyone have a good experience with this "clay bar" - I've used it on a few of my cars and never saw any "contaminents" it picked up or any noticeable improvement anywhere. Worthless to me, overhyped ball of clay....
Glad you got the sap off.

As for the clay .... well with a well maintained car, which it sounds like you have, clay is not that important, but on a car, with quite a bit of environmental fall out on it, make a bigg difference.

The test . . . put your hand in a thin plastic sandwich bag, gently rub a back bumper of a car that hasn't been waxed in a while, the bag will be "grabbed" by the debris. Then clay a small area, and you will be amazed. If you can "see" the crap in the clay, you need more than clay . . .
Old 06-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Try the claybar on a bird dropping that won't come off easily, i.e. the residue left over. It just pulls it right off.

Quick Reply: F#CKING TREE SAP - how do I get it off?