Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Foam gun/cannon worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Foam gun/cannon worth the $$$?

Who here has one and which model do you guys suggest? Not looking to drop serious coin on this, but am curious if it's worth the investment:

Also what soap do you use with yours and how much money did it set you back?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a gardening fertilizer sprayer from home depot, cost ten bucks and fill it a fifth of the way with dish liquid then full it up about 90% with water. Not as good as a foam gun but it's pretty good soap gun

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153052441605830&set=vb.620660829&typ e=3&theater

Last edited by jaxcam02; 03-25-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not that it's anyone's place to tell you how you should spend your money, but if you're asking my personal opinion, I would not buy one unless you run a side business detailing vehicles. I run my own side detailing business, and I will be getting one this spring/summer, as I'm sure it will come in really handy and make my job much easier.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some online for ~$50 mark or so. I'd love to have one, but I can't use my hose without getting a $500 ticket
Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have autogeeks foam cannon for a garden hose. Theres 2 sizes, a smaller one and a bigger one, ive got the bigger one. Also I believe all the garden hose foam cannons are the same per detailing supply store, theyre just relabeled. They get the job done loosening and lifting away alot of the abrasive stuff on your paint surface before washing, get the right soap and the garden hose type do work well. Im use meguiars meguiars professional shampoo plus or Zaino Z7 and both foam up really good.

They produce nowhere the amount of foam you get from a true foam lance you use with a pressure washer, but effective non the less.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I bought a gardening fertilizer sprayer from home depot, cost ten bucks and fill it a fifth of the way with dish liquid then full it up about 90% with water. Not as good as a foam gun but it's pretty good soap gun

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater

You should consider using an actual car wash soap.

For the op I have both and both have their place. I have an AR383 pressure washer and an MTM foam cannon and it is nice to use every now and then. It's a good way to wow your neighbors.

I just recently picked up the new Adams foam gun and this thing is great. It costs a little more but the quality is much better. I will start using this during my normal wash process when I don't want to or have the need to pull out the pressure washer.

For your purpose a foam gun would be fine. I would still recommend you follow up with a 2 bucket wash as the foam is more for lubricity to avoid swirls and scratches.

As far as soaps, the new Adams soap is nice as is Meguiar's Hyper Wash.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guz
You should consider using an actual car wash soap.
I will start using automotive soap when I find a post grad worthy job and get the SS fully detailed and my spoiler repainted. Since I graduated this winter I have been a bonified grandmas boy on a budget haha. That new 6LE Dick Harrell bumper has swallowed my last bit of savings. STILL waiting for it to get finished and shipped.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I will start using automotive soap when I find a post grad worthy job and get the SS fully detailed and my spoiler repainted. Since I graduated this winter I have been a bonified grandmas boy on a budget haha. That new 6LE Dick Harrell bumper has swallowed my last bit of savings. STILL waiting for it to get finished and shipped.
Genuinely, I wish you the best of luck. I graduated in 2010 when things were still pretty bad and the job market wasn't the best. I'm still struggling, but you do what you have to do. A college degree is the new high school diploma. As for the OP, they have some nice, inexpensive foam guns on eBay all the time. Keep your eyes peeled and when you see one that fits your budget, do a quick search for a review and see if it's any good.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the old version of this newer gun. I love mine and when I use mine people always stop and ask me what it is.

Amazon.com : Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer : Lawn And Garden Sprayers : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer : Lawn And Garden Sprayers : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 04-05-2015, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just gave the new Adams foam gun a trial run. It is very good. It may cost more but it's built very good and it foamed up nicely.

You can pick up Meguiar's Deep Crystal for cheap. That will be better than what you are using now.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as foam cannons go, autogeek cannons will do the job I would recommend the smaller one having used both. However if you would like to use one I feel best results you still need to put soap in your bucket and let your sponge or what ever you use soak while using foam gun. Another opinion if you opt to use a Cannon get quick connects and a shut of valve at least a set to change out the foam Cannon and water nozzle. And if u want the best foam soap I'd recommend chemical guys Mr pink snow foam soap.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by LetsRide
I have the old version of this newer gun. I love mine and when I use mine people always stop and ask me what it is.

Amazon.com : Gilmour 95QGFMR Foamaster II Cleaning Sprayer : Lawn And Garden Sprayers : Patio, Lawn & Garden
This is what I use and is the cheapest that I've found.

I have a detailing business and have been using it for several years now with no problem.

There are two schools of thought on foam gun vs. foam cannon.

1. The foam cannon was actually designed for areas that have some sort of water conservation. The cannon uses very little water compared to the gun.

2. Depending on who you ask the less water isn't necessarily a good thing when presoaking your car. Now I agree a foam cannon looks cooler. People go crazy over it.

3. The whole idea of a gun/cannon is to; add lubrication to the wash process, help emulsify the dirt on the car allowing it to be removed easier and safer as not to induce marring onto the paint via wash media. Since the cannon does not use as much water the foam "sits" on the car and doesn't run off taking some of the dirt with it.

I can't say one is better than the other. A lot of it has to do with proper wash method more than anything.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

In short, no it is not worth the money. I have one and I never use it. Anyone saying that foaming a vehicle helps remove dirt on the surface is absolutely wrong. All the foam does is sit on the car and run off, wasting water and soap. A heavy rinse with a big blast from the hose does more than any foam gun I've ever used, save your money.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dabest09
In short, no it is not worth the money. I have one and I never use it. Anyone saying that foaming a vehicle helps remove dirt on the surface is absolutely wrong. All the foam does is sit on the car and run off, wasting water and soap. A heavy rinse with a big blast from the hose does more than any foam gun I've ever used, save your money.
yeah, I would love to see someone take a 4x4 off roading till it's coated in mud, then give it a day or 2 to dry out then use a foam cannon to clean it. I just don't see it being anything but a way to suds up the car better for the hand wash method.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I have always been under the impression you use the foam gun/cannon to add a layer of lubricity to the pain as to further reduce the chance of marring the pain. It is not designed to remove any dirt, its just an added film of soap to hopefully keep your wash mitt gliding nicely across the paint.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tswiz'smaro
I have always been under the impression you use the foam gun/cannon to add a layer of lubricity to the pain as to further reduce the chance of marring the pain. It is not designed to remove any dirt, its just an added film of soap to hopefully keep your wash mitt gliding nicely across the paint.
It sounds logical when you say it that way but the soap is diluted so much that it really isn't adding any lubricity.

Quick Reply: Foam gun/cannon worth the $$$?