Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How much plastidip to cover the entire hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How much plastidip to cover the entire hood

My factory hood has a huge hunk of paint missing thanks to GM's lackluster 90's paint and a touchless car wash hitting a rock chip. It looks really ugly, so I was thinking of taking my fiberglass hood (that currently has a bad white paint job on it), spraying it with plastidip, and installing it on the car as I am thinking it would look a lot better than what's on there now. How many cans of plastidip would I need to do this? I bought two.

Eventually I'll get the car repainted but I cannot afford to do that for at least 2 years due to house expenses (furnace, driveway, and windows for starters).

If this is just a bad idea altogether let me know. I'll grab a pic of both hoods as they are.

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 04-29-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your going to need somewhere around 8 cans. I plasti dipped my superhawk hood until the new one arrives and lows only had 2 cans of grey and 2 cans of white. I also had a can of black. Sprayed what I had of black then white then grey on top of the white to get a lighter grey.... turned out it was not nearly enough.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow OK, I'll pick up more then. Good thing I asked before I started.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 cans seems kinda high but I guess it's better than having to make another trip to the store
Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it would suck to get part way through the project and run out. I have 8 cans now. If I don't end up needing them all that's fine.

Of course the weather is utter crap this week so it doesn't look like I'll be able to do it until next. Oh well, can't drive the car right now since I don't have a driver's seat in it! Wouldn't take that much to put it back in I guess, just I'm tired of mounting and dismounting that seat so many times lol.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

8 cans sounds about right....make sure u at least put 6-7 coats on the hood so when it comes to taking it off u can just peel it off...the more coats the better...less coats it's a pain in the *ss.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

8 cans for a hood? Nah....2 is fine

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 05-05-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Did my buddies hood with two cans, throwing 8 cans on the hood is unnecessary, overkill a waste and dumb
Old 05-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

O would rather it be overkill and easy to peel or not enough coats and a b**** to get off
Old 05-05-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

OK then, well I'll put enough on it and return any unused cans lol
Old 05-05-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did my SS Spoiler in red and took me 2 cans because the spoiler was black.

1 Can of White as base coat
1 Can of Red for color

If you are spraying black, its much easier and obviously don't need tons of coats for it to look like an even black surface.

If you do need to remove it, goo gone works really well for those tiny pieces that don't wana come off in a big chunk.

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
can't drive the car right now since I don't have a driver's seat in it! Wouldn't take that much to put it back in I guess, just I'm tired of mounting and dismounting that seat so many times lol.

whats up sparky!

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 05-05-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Took me two cans to do the ram air part of my WS6 hood. I would say you can do it with 4 cans.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I did my SS Spoiler in red and took me 2 cans because the spoiler was black.
so 1 Can of White and 1 Can of Red plastidip.

If you are spraying black, its much easier and obviously don't need tons of coats for it to look like an even black surface.
What I got out of it is he is dipping a already white hood with white plasti, should not be a problem with a couple cans
Old 05-05-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert

whats up sparky!
lol shaddup

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
What I got out of it is he is dipping a already white hood with white plasti, should not be a problem with a couple cans
Sorry was not clear maybe. The hood is white but I'm using black plastidip as while neither match my car at least black wouldn't look quite as out of place I don't think.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 AM
Teching In

Took me about 4 cans and 1 can of clear coat to make my hood from blue to white

Old 07-03-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

So I finally got around to doing this. Looks... well, blotchy and streaky lol. I used 5 cans. It took 2 cans just to cover the white and make it black. I was going vertical on the hood, got stripes that way, so then I started doing horizontal which covered the vertical but made horizontal lines. So I went criss-cross which then hid that, but made it look like crosshatching on a cylinder wall 4 cans was enough but I went over with a 5th can to try to blend it all together. Waiting for it to dry before I install it and see how it looks.

I suppose it may still look better than the peeled paint on the factory hood. Sigh.

The other thing I was fighting was BUGS. These stupid little bugs would just fly in and land on the hood while I was painting. Are they attracted to paint or somthing? So now I have a few painted over little bumps that are actually tiny gnats or some other insect (tiny pinhead size, hard shell). Sigh.

I need to get money saved to just get the car painted properly. I blew it all on my truck and furnace this year, and next year I really should do windows on the house...
Old 07-03-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
So I finally got around to doing this. Looks... well, blotchy and streaky lol. I used 5 cans. It took 2 cans just to cover the white and make it black. I was going vertical on the hood, got stripes that way, so then I started doing horizontal which covered the vertical but made horizontal lines. So I went criss-cross which then hid that, but made it look like crosshatching on a cylinder wall 4 cans was enough but I went over with a 5th can to try to blend it all together. Waiting for it to dry before I install it and see how it looks.

I suppose it may still look better than the peeled paint on the factory hood. Sigh.

The other thing I was fighting was BUGS. These stupid little bugs would just fly in and land on the hood while I was painting. Are they attracted to paint or somthing? So now I have a few painted over little bumps that are actually tiny gnats or some other insect (tiny pinhead size, hard shell). Sigh.

I need to get money saved to just get the car painted properly. I blew it all on my truck and furnace this year, and next year I really should do windows on the house...
This is exactly why I NEVER suggest anyone attempt to do large panels or whole cars with cans, cans are for small scale things, you see the same thing with spray paint cans when trying to cover large areas. From what I've seen of plasti-dip spraying the gloss coat over top will help reduce the streakiness but it will still be there.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree that the Plasti-Dip is best suited for smaller areas. Even on the center section of my ram air hood, there are sports where it's streaky.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well it is just to be temporary anyway!

But I ran into a totally new issue that maybe is better suited for another section, but this Harwood hood I bought 6 years ago now fits like utter crap and the bolt holes aren't threaded the same as factory bolts. The more I look at it though the more I'm thinking I was sold a "Harwood" ebay special by whoever it was I got it from. At first I was thinking OK I just need to adjust it properly, but the more I look at the sides the more I'm thinking there is no way to make it even come close to matching the fenders. Looks like the hood is just totally shaped wrong! But it was installed on the guy's car previously and it looked fine in those pictures... I don't get it. Unless I'm totally missing something.

Regardless, there is no way I can bolt it down until I figure out what bolts fit. Here are a few pics with it just sitting on top. I moved the hood too soon so the plasti isn't really set up fully and it started peeling a bit on the edges (oops).

Name:  20150703_142931_zpseougdgim.jpg
Views: 9374
Size:  232.8 KB
Name:  20150703_142941_zps5dzs8846.jpg
Views: 7200
Size:  198.0 KB
Name:  20150703_143015_zpsasbim9sw.jpg
Views: 6506
Size:  137.0 KB

Live and learn...

*edit* Now that I look at it again, if I push down on the corners they sit on top of the hinges and gets a lot closer. Maybe it can be all adjusted to fit after all, but then the hood is under some pressure. Could the fiberglass have warped over the last 6 years of storage?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

HOW was it stored? if fiberglass is exposed to high enough heat (depending on the quality of the construction), learned that one the hard way, I was installing fenders and a full widebody kit on one of my old hondas and had a set of halogen lights pointed at one of the fiberglass fenders and after a while noticed a dip in the fender, it had heated up to a point to hot to touch and was maleable, after turning off the lights I could push up from behind and the spot was VERY soft, so if it got heated right and was stood on those ends it's possible.

Quick Reply: How much plastidip to cover the entire hood