Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???

Hi I just bought my trans am in march and I'm well aware that it's a normal trans am and not a WS6. The owner before me put on an aftermarket hood, and I'm trying to figure out what it is and if it's even functional. I'm pretty sure it's not the raptor, superbird, firehawk, or ws9 hood, but I could be wrong. I'm looking into removing the baffles but i don't know if rain will permit that. Any reply helps, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???-cam01519.jpg   Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???-cam01520.jpg   Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???-cam01521.jpg   Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???-cam01522.jpg   Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???-cam01523.jpg  

Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???-cam01524.jpg  
Old 05-07-2015, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

SLP HO hood.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slp ram air H.O. hood
IMO it is just better to run the FTRA, SSRA, or Chrs1313 underbody ram air than removing the baffles. The OEM WS6 hood is easy to debaffle and there is a kit to seal it off to the air box, which is why most people debaffle the ws6 hood.
If the Ram air H.O hood is anything like the Firehawk hood, you would have to cut out the baffles. The hood is probably made out of SMC like most SLP hoods. There would probably be no gains if the hood is not properly sealed off to the air box. The hood has been discontinued for a while now.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Qcon
SLP HO hood.
Awesome! Thanks.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the_dragon
slp ram air H.O. hood
IMO it is just better to run the FTRA, SSRA, or Chrs1313 underbody ram air than removing the baffles. The OEM WS6 hood is easy to debaffle and there is a kit to seal it off to the air box, which is why most people debaffle the ws6 hood.
If the Ram air H.O hood is anything like the Firehawk hood, you would have to cut out the baffles. The hood is probably made out of SMC like most SLP hoods. There would probably be no gains if the hood is not properly sealed off to the air box. The hood has been discontinued for a while now.
Awesome dude, thanks for the advice. Kinda sucks that I have this giant hood that barely does anything lol. So I know this is a really dumb question, but I'm new to trying to upgrade my car so here goes: If I did one of the ram air mods you mentioned, would it be redundant to upgrade the lid as well? Because I have the stock non-ram air box right now.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Its funny I think I've seen more cars with this hood in the past year on hear than I did when the hood was still available. Its not rare in the sense few were made but you really don't see that hood on many cars.

SLP ho hood for sure, and yes the baffles have to be cut out and its likely not worth the effort, but it sure looks awesome!
Old 05-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAmRiley
Awesome dude, thanks for the advice. Kinda sucks that I have this giant hood that barely does anything lol. So I know this is a really dumb question, but I'm new to trying to upgrade my car so here goes: If I did one of the ram air mods you mentioned, would it be redundant to upgrade the lid as well? Because I have the stock non-ram air box right now.
The stock lower air box will work better with an underbody ram air because you could easily seal it off with a seal provided in one of those kits. The ram air lower air box sits too high and you would have to make your own seal.

I would recommend changing out the air lid. It promotes better air flow and looks much better IMO. It wouldn't be redundant to upgrade it at all if you do the underbody ram air.

The purpose of the underbody ram air is really to help out with acceleration at the higher speeds. You will probably not notice a huge gain when you are just cruising around. At the drag strip you might notice that the 1/4 mile MPH might increase by a little. I would recommend you doing a search about it to decide if it is really is something you want to spend money on.

Other popular mods for you to look into is the LS6 intake (if you have a 98-00 f-body), long tube headers, and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Can Someone Help Me Figure Out What Hood I Have???