Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.

Old 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.

While I was being a post ***** on one of the other sites I came accross this and thought it might come in handy for a few of you.
http://152.122.48.13/prepos/files/Ar...01120-1025.pdf
Dosent matter if your car is under warranty or not, GM said that the dealerships should take care of it. The adhesive thats used to hold the roof panel on releases vapors, and since that panel is pourous, the vapors come through and make the paint bubble and sometimes these bubbles will pop and ooze. If you live down south like I do youve probly noticed this already cause the heat makes it worse.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Dumb question: Even though it applies to those of us out of warranty, does this tech bulletin mean they will still fix it at no cost? If so, I'm THERE!

-Mike
Old 06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

No ****! I've been noticing that a lot lately. What's the dealer's prcedure on this? Bill the customer or bill the General?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is supsed to be done at the generals expense cause its his F-up. I was told not to go to the service department and just go saight to the body shop at the dealership because of the service department trying to get out of this type of stuff all the time. And was told not to give up if they say no, becasue GM wants the dealerships to take care of it.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this problem as well and trying to find a dealer that wants to help you is like finding a needle in a haystack. If any of you guys find a dealership in the southeast with good customer service let us know. I'm sick of the bubbles on my roof and I have done everything the owners manual suggests and then some on keeping my car clean. Is there a contact number on GM's website for customer service? All of us need to get together on this one, cause its not right for a 2-4 year old car to be bubbling and cracking paint. I just had to fix my Thunderbird's roof this week because it had crappy paint. I don't want to pay for another person's mess up again.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

It was a 1-800 number for GM that I saw somewhere ill have to look for it.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Having this TSB does NOT mean you'll get your car fixed for free, or fixed at all. It is STILL up to the service manager and ultimately the regional manger whether or not to fix your car. (trust me, i fought this for months, making calls to many 1-800 numbers, and my car is still F'd up. I even have friends in the company, nothing worked.)
Old 06-08-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my roof replaced. The car was still under warranty, and the dealer was committed to resolving the problem 100%.

No problems here.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had my roof replaced also a couple of months ago and was not in the normal warranty period. It was in Lakeland, FL and the dealership was Michael Holley Chevrolet. They were excellent about it. They had to ask their regional manager and he was not very quick to do it but reviewed my record there and decided to go ahead. They said since I had been loyal and always dealt with them that they would be loyal to me. So I was pleased with that.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I just had mine done 2 weeks ago,The rep told me GM will be extending the repairs on these for some time,It does not matter how many miles are on the vehicle or how long by time it's been out of warranty.Believe it or not these plastic panels are glued on and have to be litterally broken apart to remove,It's a horrible sight!.Just make sure they use epoxy this time and not redone in uretrhane wich creates the chemical interaction.and make dam sure they paint it before they install it.If anyone experiences difficulty with their dealer svc. manager or director get the # for the GM rep in your area,It does not matter if your car has a race cam loping in for this repair they have to fix it.Just be ready to do a major cleanup when done, Good Luck
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

So is there a deductible like with warranty work?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

So is there a deductible like with warranty work?
No there shouldnt be
Old 06-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by tubohawk1
I just had mine done 2 weeks ago,The rep told me GM will be extending the repairs on these for some time,It does not matter how many miles are on the vehicle or how long by time it's been out of warranty.Believe it or not these plastic panels are glued on and have to be litterally broken apart to remove,It's a horrible sight!.Just make sure they use epoxy this time and not redone in uretrhane wich creates the chemical interaction.and make dam sure they paint it before they install it.If anyone experiences difficulty with their dealer svc. manager or director get the # for the GM rep in your area,It does not matter if your car has a race cam loping in for this repair they have to fix it.Just be ready to do a major cleanup when done, Good Luck

I've talked to every GM rep available, they still so no to me! I've even tried getting in touch with Scott Settlemire about it. Nothing has worked for me
Old 06-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Location: Fort Mill South Carolina/Charlotte...home of NASCAR

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
I've talked to every GM rep available, they still so no to me! I've even tried getting in touch with Scott Settlemire about it. Nothing has worked for me
My 2000 SS was out of warranty and was fixed by Burns Chevrolet in Rock Hill South Carolina. I took the TSB to the body shop manager. He was not aware of the TSB but said he would check with his GM rep. They authorized the repairs at no charge. They did an outstanding job by the way but they had my car for almost the whole week.....which is probably to be expected.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called the Pont. customer serv. line and have been talking to a woman there and she had me go to the dealer and get an estimate. She called back yesterday and said GM is covering the whole thing for me. I'm really surprised how easy the whole process was. My cars been outn of warranty since March. The other dealer I used to go to wouldn't fix it when I 1st noticed it. (A whopping 2 weeks after my warranty expired) If any one wants her ext. # I'll give it to ya after I get it fixed. It goes in a week from Mon.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Dude, let me know, I went round and round with GM last fall before my warranty was up, and they did nothing for me, wouldn't even look at the car!
Old 09-10-2004, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
Dude, let me know, I went round and round with GM last fall before my warranty was up, and they did nothing for me, wouldn't even look at the car!
I'll let you know but she is at the Pontiac customer serv. #, don't know if she could help your Chevy though.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pm the info when you get a chance.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stang killer
Pm the info when you get a chance.
Sent PM
Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

My advice: Take real good (up-close) pics of your car BEFORE having this repair done, Be prepared to clean up one hell of a fiberglass mess, Inspect your car GOOD before you leave with it...

The only good thing I can say about the dealer replacing my roof is that they did not put any miles on my car, and the paint match was absolutely perfect...

They used PPG paint and the old roof does have to be cut off (They let me keep a piece) My new roof was ordered, and painted weeks before I took the car in to have it done. Somehow they got it on without messing up the new paint they put on it.
The repair job took them a little less than 1 day to complete.

Hope I helped someone! Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bubbling paint on roof, I may have a solution.