Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sound deadening?

Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Sound deadening?

I'd like to add some sound deadening to both my cars. What are you guys using? I'm trying to find a cheaper alternative to dynamat.

I have read about Peel & Seal @ Home Depot, but I wish to keep it butyl based. Don't want to risk the asphalt smell being in the car as some have had.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's lizard skin thermal and sound layers but that has to be sprayed on and the route I'm going.

Boom Mat, X Mat, Hush Mat I've seen people use all of these. Google sound deadening and there will all kinds of post about what people used and reviews.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Thermo Tec Heat & Sound Deadner in my f-body. I can't compare it to Dynamat or others, but make no mistake - my car is a lot louder on the outside vs. inside the car. My passengers are always surprised to hear the difference when they open the door to get out if the car is still running.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as you put on some mass loaded vinyl (that's really what blocks sounds) then you can get any of the non-name brand things like Dynamat. Although be warned, in this area you do get what you pay for and there's a reason why Dynamat cost so much.

I put on a layer of Dynmat straight on bare panels then a layer of MLV from Raamadio. Quiet as a mouse in there now.

Dynamat is for reducing drone and vibration in panels, foam and MLV is for sound reduction. Both together work very well.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Sucks you post this now. Best Buy had dynamat on clearance a little while back for dirt cheap. Trunk kits were like 20 bucks.

Anyway, redtan hit it spot on. typical dynamat (tar-like stuff with the metal backing) is for reducing vibrations and harmonic frequencies. For straight up sound deadening, you want foam panels and the like.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the tub of my vette in dynamat extreme after finding good deals on eBay and it made a huge difference, that was until I did my stroker motor, now I need to change the mufflers before I go insane.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound deadening?