Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSingh90
So I got them in the other day, and they are the same like the other guys received, with the longer wire pigtail in the back.

There's less heatsink material to tap into, but hopefully I will be able to make these work.

Chris,
Chris, sounds like you and I got the same ones. I am going to start working on mine this weekend hopefully. Ill post some Pics up as I do it. Yeah the pigtail on mine is longer which is nice, but the heatsink material is smaller, so I might have to use smaller hardware.

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Looking at Smokin's lights, I think it can still be used. Just curious if they differ from the picture on Amazon?
Ill have to look. I feel now that you say that maybe the pic on amazon were more like yours and the product might be the "next generation" and some smaller changes occurred on the product. Ill keep you guys up to date on my install.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, I wish I would've done those with mine. Really nice pieces.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Ill have to look. I feel now that you say that maybe the pic on amazon were more like yours and the product might be the "next generation" and some smaller changes occurred on the product. Ill keep you guys up to date on my install.
Yep that's what I'm wondering, not an accurate picture on Amazon. I still think you should still be in the clear, just have to modify the install a bit. Looking forward to your install!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, sounds like you and I got the same ones. I am going to start working on mine this weekend hopefully. Ill post some Pics up as I do it. Yeah the pigtail on mine is longer which is nice, but the heatsink material is smaller, so I might have to use smaller hardware.

I bought the clear/chrome type fogs which has the little different heat sink design than infinitereality's fogs which were the smoked color. Could be the difference between the chrome and smoked lenses. Or could just be a newer style like previously mentioned.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blueday
I bought the clear/chrome type fogs which has the little different heat sink design than infinitereality's fogs which were the smoked color. Could be the difference between the chrome and smoked lenses. Or could just be a newer style like previously mentioned.
Mine aren't smoked, they have clear lenses like yours. Just have black internals.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Mine aren't smoked, they have clear lenses like yours. Just have black internals.
Either way curious if the guys with the different heat sinks than yours are the chrome or black fogs.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way curious if the guys with the different heat sinks than yours are the chrome or black fogs.
Maybe Matt or Smokin will chime in.... Matt got black one's off Amazon but not sure what the rears looked like. Smokin got ones that have the different backs, but not sure if he went with black or chrome.

Your chrome ones, did they have heat sinks like mine or were they different?
Old 04-30-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did yours have a plastic bracket attached to the back? I ordered the black ones off amazon, heres the link
Amazon.com: SUNPIE 4.5 Inch 30W Black LED Fog Lights Projector Auxiliary Daymaker Headlight Motorcycle Passing Fog Light Lamps For Harley Davidson Pack of 2: Automotive Amazon.com: SUNPIE 4.5 Inch 30W Black LED Fog Lights Projector Auxiliary Daymaker Headlight Motorcycle Passing Fog Light Lamps For Harley Davidson Pack of 2: Automotive
They seem to have plenty of heat sink material, but also have a bracket on them.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I didn't have any brackets with mine
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same here, no brackets were on mine too.

Are they removable?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe Matt or Smokin will chime in.... Matt got black one's off Amazon but not sure what the rears looked like. Smokin got ones that have the different backs, but not sure if he went with black or chrome.

Your chrome ones, did they have heat sinks like mine or were they different?
Yeah I got the black fogs as well, off of amazon. If everyone wants, go back a page and you will see the pics that i posted of them. I took the brackets off the car last night and am going to start studying weather or not i can use the same hardware specs that Infinite used since i have less space to work with. Ill snap some pics here in a little of the brackets next to the heat sink.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Did yours have a plastic bracket attached to the back? I ordered the black ones off amazon, heres the link Amazon.com: SUNPIE 4.5 Inch 30W Black LED Fog Lights Projector Auxiliary Daymaker Headlight Motorcycle Passing Fog Light Lamps For Harley Davidson Pack of 2: Automotive
They seem to have plenty of heat sink material, but also have a bracket on them.
HAHA...this cracks me up. We definitely ordered from the same link. Mine didnt come with brackets yours did. Ill have to look closer at the bracket on yours and see how they tapped into the heatsink. do you think those brackets will work or will you have to take them off and re mount to the brackets on the TA?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

I got the shorter heat sink fins as well. I used a 3/16 drill bit and drilled hole in outside fin Only, for now. Headed to Lowes to get some hardware. Going to try to use a small bolt on each side instead of one long bolt like OP did.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YURVIEW
I got the shorter heat sink fins as well. I used a 3/16 drill bit and drilled hole in outside fin Only, for now. Headed to Lowes to get some hardware. Going to try to use a small bolt on each side instead of one long bolt like OP did.
Yourview,
Let me know what hardware you end up using and working. I was going to head to Lowes too in a little to get some stuff and figure out what works the best. Thanks for beating me to this and being the ginny pig on the shroter heat sink! LOL.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Well my Lowes didn't have a 4.5" bolt in M8 size (nor in standard). So plan A has to work. Lol. Just worry about how well 2 shorts will hold up, not much material left between fin edge and hole. Definitely be more sturdy with one long bolt thru all the fins.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Ok Ninja Turtles, got em done using the small bolts. One problem, no way to secure the aim of the light. With screws tightened as tight as they'll go, light will still move with a shake. So, I rigged em for now (feel free to point and laugh). Ill be going back to get the 1/2" spacers like OP used to see if that helps secure light. Lol.

No the right light is not crooked, just looks that way from angle of camera

Last edited by YURVIEW; 05-02-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good! I wonder why you can snug the down?

If you think about it, please take some wall shots. I'm curious how the cutoff looks on the updated fogs
Old 05-02-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

so basically i need to go though the next layer of heat sink as well. So did you end up tapping a 3/16th hole in both the light and the bracket? i think like Infinite said, that spacer plus the loctite will work well.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

so basically i need to go though the next layer of heat sink as well. So did you end up tapping a 3/16th hole in both the light and the bracket? i think like Infinite said, that spacer plus the loctite will work well.
Yep you are correct. The spacer is required to be able to tighten the lights snugly to the bracket. I had the same issue before I used the spacer.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

Yes 3/16 bit on both.

Quick Reply: Trans Am LED Fog Light Install (Morimoto Knockoffs)