Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do airbags deploy?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do airbags deploy?

Hello,

I have searched trying to find the answer to my question. As many of you know, I am wrapping my entire interior of my car with Redline leather. We are at a point where we are best tying to determine the best way to wrap the rest of the dash, especially around the passenger airbag and also the steering wheel.

First, the steering wheel. Instead of just wrapping the when where you hands go, I am going to wrap the entire wheel: around where the radio controls are and the rest of the structure. That leaves the entire center of the wheel where the airbag is uncovered. I would like to know, when the steering wheel airbag deploys, does that plastic cover hinge down or does it split apart. I am thinking that the cover stays intact somehow. Then I can just put a cover over the airbag that would would hopefully not interfere with the deployment.

For the passenger airbag, same thing. It looks a little more tricky. If I wrap the rest of the dash, I want the passenger airbag to be able to be deployed. I have heard that there is special stitching involved for airbags. I also was thinking that the area that the passenger airbag is, I could make the covering in two pieces independent of each other, and I could just cement then separately. So knowing how the airbag deploys will help in designing how to put it all together.

Thanks for the help

Scott
Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Google to the Rescue:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=96208

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...8-383-lt1.html

Looking at those pics, Steering Wheel center rips open and Passenger Dash section pops open.

This was easy to find in a 1 minute google search on the first try.

Which also led me to this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...bag-cover.html

Here is a slow-mo video of a deployment from a different car:

This search also led me to this thread:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/108830.html
Its not a Firebird, but it is a Pontiac and impressive work on that dash.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-12-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe try to get in contact with Caravaggio. They wrap and stitch Corvette airbags and dashes. As powerful as the pressure is to deploy a bag, I dont know if bursting through stitching would effect how the bag filled or not. The bag definately would deploy, but im going to assume if there are not proper releif cuts on the backside of the piece of leather wrapping the bag that mimmicked the factory tear open pattern on the oem cover you'd run the risk of the whole piece of leather ripping off upon deployment and maiming your face.

So long as you properly relieve the tear open areas I think all will be good. That will create weak areas where the oem cover wants to tear open, which in turn will allow the leather to easily tear where it needs to and keep it bonded to the cover.

You seems to know what your doing so this may be a moot point to mention. Since the airbag cover is a critical area make sure you are using dap welwood landau top and trim sprayed through a spray gun. Unlike the spray cans, it is permenant bond that will not fail. The airbag cover is molded out of rubber which can be tricky to bond to without an adhesive not up to the task.

The passenger side cover I would wrap separately from the dash. Use a flat tool to wrap into the crease and a heat gun on the corners. Crank your patience up to 10.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And that is why these cars always bust the windshields when the bags go off. That passenger cover bashes against that glass quite hard. Not sure why they couldn't have just had it use a much smaller door or opening like the driver side bag does and avoid destroying quite so much stuff.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^the point of the airbag is to keep you alive, not keep your windshield in tact. Priorities! I'd imagine that the passenger side one is probably safer and more effective. You lose some size of that on the drivers side due to the fact that the steering wheel and gauges have to be there and they take up a lot of space.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Part of me agrees with crimson_bird. Seems like breaking the glass, without anything impacting it, is a waste. On top of that, releasing more glass fragments into the air can't be good for your eyes or lungs...
Old 03-19-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or even better yet, too bad they didn't come up with the sensor for the seats earlier than what they did, in my 2009 Sentra, if nobody is in the passenger seat and I'm in a crash, the passenger airbag wont deploy. Seems almost a waste if you crash the Fbody and no one was sitting in the passenger seat and the air bag goes off, taking care of the bag, probably cracking the fragile dashpad and of course the windshield.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do airbags deploy?