Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Polishing Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Polishing Headlights

I tried wet sanding & clear coating the lenses on my headlights last night.. Well, It looks all blury looking now they arent clear. The whole lens ia real hazy. So i tried getting the clear coat of by wetsanding & polishing its working its just going to take alot of time.. Anyone know of an easier way to polish my headlights? BTW I used 1000 grit sand paper to wetsand with... Im going to buy some 2000 grit in a min. Could someone please help, I really need to get my headlights at least to back to where they were before I started. I need to know what I need to do this & how to finish this without having to buy new headlights...
Old 06-15-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
I tried wet sanding & clear coating the lenses on my headlights last night.. Well, It looks all blury looking now they arent clear. The whole lens ia real hazy. So i tried getting the clear coat of by wetsanding & polishing its working its just going to take alot of time.. Anyone know of an easier way to polish my headlights? BTW I used 1000 grit sand paper to wetsand with... Im going to buy some 2000 grit in a min. Could someone please help, I really need to get my headlights at least to back to where they were before I started. I need to know what I need to do this & how to finish this without having to buy new headlights...
you could have just gone 2000 grit then compound , polish then wax. if you dont have a rotory and a polishing pad i dont know if you can get out the 1000 grit marks by hand
Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I have the rotory, & polishing pad...I didnt know if there was an easy way to get all this off or not... I went while ago to get some 2000 grit sandpaper but all I could find was 1500 grit... I did get some 3m plastic polish.... I think that im pretty much screwed though... Ill polish them for a couple of hours when I get home tonight...
Old 06-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I had a similar problem doing my taillights...I dunno what to do I can't find 2000 grit either...
Old 06-15-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont build up too much heat with the rotary or the plastic will deform and cloud..

XstaZ28 is pretty good at this i think...
Old 06-15-2004, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

I fixed it... first of all I thought I was using 1000 grit, but it was actually 1500 grit... I went to a local paint shop today & found some 3m plastic cleaner...I then wet sanded the lens with 1500 grit, then took the plastic cleaner/polish & used a buffing pad that connects to a drill, # coats of doing this, then using some Meguires NXT, They look great... Thanks alot for suggestions....

Quick Reply: Polishing Headlights