Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

*opinions on fitment* wings west front air dam install finished

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *opinions on fitment* wings west front air dam install finished

I recently purchased a wings west front air dam for my trans am. I just got it back from the body shop the other day and I'm not too sure I'm happy with it. The paint and prep work turned out great but I'm not really happy with the way it fits. As you can see in the pictures I posted the air dam is installed perfectly centered but it sticks out almost an inch in the wheel well and isn't flush with the body. If it's not right I don't think it's anything the body shop did wrong, I think the piece looks to be a little too long. I've looked at many pictures online with the wings west air dam installed and I couldn't find a single one that looks like mine, all the others seem to be flush and line up perfectly with the body.

This has had me real aggravated and annoyed for the past few days because Ive wanted the wings west air dam for a long time, I was finally able to save up and get it and I feel like it's not right.

I wanted to post up pictures and get everyone's opinion on the final product, am I being too **** about how it turned out, or do I have reason to believe it's not right? Like I said all the pictures I seen of other air dams installed look like they line up and fit perfectly. Thanks for any feedback

Imo it look pretty good from the front

idk if I'm just being too picky but how it lines up on the sides is what I'm not too happy about. As you can see it doesn't sit flush with the body and sticks out almost an inch into the wheel well

Last edited by DARKWING; 07-08-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree, I would also be frustrated on this result. Made a quick Google pic search and didn't find any car with similar result as yours, from all pictures on Google everyone had a nice flush install...strange. Are you gonna contact WW for a comment?

Other then this car is really beautiful!!
The following users liked this post:
d-mob (10-31-2023)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks! And yes I think I am going to be contacting the seller, I just wanted to post pictures here first to see what the overall feedback was just to make sure I'm not being too picky, which I don't think I am. Like I said I've looked at 100's of different pictures online and I couldn't find a single one that looks similar to mine.
I didn't purchase the piece directly through WW though, I purchased it through a WW distributor off eBay. Before buying the piece I did message the seller to make sure it was a 100% original Wings West piece and I was assured that it was. Also I checked the sellers feedback and it seemed really good, several others have also bought the WW air dam and left positive feedback saying they were happy with it, so I didn't see a problem using eBay.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

DARKWING
Your car is nice. I love the rims!

I think that spoiler looks good. However it definitely does not fit right. I am wondering why the bodyshop installed it when it fit so bad? They should have called you in to see if you wanted to move ahead with the install.

If that were my car it would be coming off. I personally couldn't look at that every day.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine does not look like that, it fits better than the look you ended up with. I also went a step further, since I'm never going to sell the car, and had it molded to the front bumper.....
Attached Thumbnails *opinions on fitment* wings west front air dam install finished-10423945_10152484670824906_2934840220425622984_n.jpg  
Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

looks like the sides are mounted to low. especially the driver side they should be closer to the factory lower vents like yellowta1
Old 07-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

^^^ This guy, pheonix rises, has a killer eye.

I looked at some pictures of your spoiler on other cars and it actually looks like it is supposed to almost be level with the fog lights. As stated above, they may have mounted it too low. Mount it an inch or so higher and it won't stick out as far at the sides. The picture below was actually posted on this forum.

Look how close it is to the fog lights, and look how it fits where the license plate goes:

Old 07-09-2016, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good eye guys. Yes. I was about to say, it you raise that lip up, it will make it more flush in the corners. Does it have any screws into the bumper or only the two sided tape?
Old 07-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated. I will look at the car to see if it can be mounted any higher., even though I had the body shop go back over it once I told them I was unhappy with how it fit.

I understand what everyone is saying about it being level with the fog lights in those other two pictures but your comparing my bumper that's just bolted on to two other bumpers that are molded on to the car, I think the lines on the molded on bumpers would look a little different than one like mine that's only bolted on, no?

Last edited by DARKWING; 07-09-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

mine is just bolted on and its closer to the factory lower vent...it takes some finesse ti get it to fit right. but trust me its too low right now
Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Old 07-09-2016, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

it looks like they put in some kind of spacers at the wheel wells and pulled the whole thing to far back so it doesn't fit up tight in the front like it should.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Teching In

@ Daniel Richards - yes it's basically a nut they put in to close the gap between the body and the kit so they could drill screws in for extra support.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Teching In

@ Yellowta1 and Phoenix rises - I just wanted to say you guys have two of the nicest t/a's I have ever seen, both are badass.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had one of these on my car and took it off for just this same reason, I don't like how they fit and the install method sucks, double sided tape IMHO is not good enough. For what you pay for one they should install with a better method.

Mine is currently hanging in my garage on the wall....
Old 07-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

I can't believe they come with 2 way tape as the default for mounting them.
When we did ground effects we would urethane them on with "Duramix"
And then fill the seam with a tiny bead so there was no gap.
I would never 2 way tape those on especially the one on the front. That would make me nervous at high speeds.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Originally Posted by deebee
I can't believe they come with 2 way tape as the default for mounting them.
When we did ground effects we would urethane them on with "Duramix"
And then fill the seam with a tiny bead so there was no gap.
I would never 2 way tape those on especially the one on the front. That would make me nervous at high speeds.
Yep Tape and a few places in the front where you can screw into your existing plastic bumper cover, how secure is that? Plus I assume everyone winds up screwing the ends to their fenders as well, mounting really sucks.
if shipping wasn't an issue I would sell mine in a second.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Yea after seeing 99'cajunfirehawk157 pics from the side angle I can really see how mine is off now.

@ deebee - yea all the air dam came with was the two sided tape, the shop added the screws in the wheel wells and used a little urethane to give it a better seal.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Yep Tape and a few places in the front where you can screw into your existing plastic bumper cover, how secure is that? Plus I assume everyone winds up screwing the ends to their fenders as well, mounting really sucks.
if shipping wasn't an issue I would sell mine in a second.
Where are you located? I'm interested.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Mississippi gulf coast, cant be feasible to ship...the box would have to be like 4'x5'x8" rough guess. weight under 10 lbs, if I had to guess