Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Red Gauge Needles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Red Gauge Needles

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a 6LE gauge overlay & trim set finally. I'm going to be doing white face and would love to get red needles (i have an 02 trans am so my gauges are more orange). It looks like the S86 needles are no longer available. If I'm not mistaken though Camaro needles are red. I'm assuming these would be a direct replacement for my TA needles. Where can I get these needles? Been searching and coming up with nothing.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct. They would be a direct replacement. A little orange but will work Just go to a junkyard, break a cluster and pull the needles off
Old 07-14-2016, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

lol nice, yea i was starting to think that would be my best bet right after posting. In one of the older 6LE threads I believe you stated that the Camaro needles are actually red but the yellowish light (stock) is what makes it slightly orange whereas the trans am needles are just orange. Will replacing the TA gauge lights with white LEDs paired with the Camaro needles give me the red needle look I'm going after?

I noticed on your site that you have the gauge overlay and trim set combo on sale. I've been wanting an overlay from you guys for YEARS now but never got around to ordering them. With the sale though I cant very well pass that up. I'm ultimately going to replace my AC Vent gauges with Phantom2 gauges and your white gauge overlay lit by white LEDs and red camaro needles looks like it'll make the cluster match the phantom2 gauges perfectly.

In light of all of that the sale listing states you can do 2 logo's (one for the tach one for the speedometer) for free so long as they're not custom logos. Do you have a list of logo's that would be included in the free logo list?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Banned

Basically Bird logos, WS6, SS, Trans Am, CAMARO, etc...

They do look more orange with the yellow bulbs but in general they are just on the orange side of red. Will still look great on white and when you use white LEDs will be relatively red lit up...
Old 07-15-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Camaro needles are orange. If you want red, you wet sand the back of the needle down to remove the paint, apply your preferred red, and best results require white leds in the cluster. Be careful what ones you get, some create hot spots around the led and look funny. Test it with the stock bulbs first to see if you like that look/color.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Camaro needles are orange. If you want red, you wet sand the back of the needle down to remove the paint, apply your preferred red, and best results require white leds in the cluster. Be careful what ones you get, some create hot spots around the led and look funny. Test it with the stock bulbs first to see if you like that look/color.
The Camaro needles are molded in a clear red plastic, the strip on the backside is white to reflect so the needle actually lights up. If you sand that white off it will barely illuminate. If you wanted it a deeper red look into tamiya translucent polycarbonate paint and paint the entire needle. Its cheap and it works very well. I weighed my needles on a gram scale after painting and it didnt add any weight to the needle at all, even after clearcoating.

Here is a white needle that I painted translucent blue on the scale. The white needle is from a Chevy Venture and is identical to the red and orange f body needles other than its whte.

Here is a stock red Camaro needle
Name:  55B39DC1-2900-4BBF-815A-4D58113DA7C9_zps3rd0xq8o.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  64.6 KB
Old 07-15-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Fantastic tips guys thank you.

Are the Trans Am needles similar in nature (translucent needle with a white backing)? If so will that translucent polycarbonate paint work on the stock trans am needles? If so I'll give that a shot before spending time hunting down a wrecked camaro.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the needles from my Camaro still (I went to white needles a few years ago). If you decide to go the Camaro needle route LMK, they're just sitting in a little bag in a parts drawer someplace so you could probably have them for dirt.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dementia
Fantastic tips guys thank you.

Are the Trans Am needles similar in nature (translucent needle with a white backing)? If so will that translucent polycarbonate paint work on the stock trans am needles? If so I'll give that a shot before spending time hunting down a wrecked camaro.
Yep. Pontiac needles are translucent orange with the white strip on the back.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Great to know
Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I have the needles from my Camaro still (I went to white needles a few years ago). If you decide to go the Camaro needle route LMK, they're just sitting in a little bag in a parts drawer someplace so you could probably have them for dirt.
How much?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT4vert
snip
That sucks, the lt1's are clear and are painted on the backside like I described. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dementia
How much?
$15 shipped. PM me. I can get pics and such.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard somewhere that S10 and Camaro needles are the same.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Could always have this done

Quick Reply: Red Gauge Needles