Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sealed Beam Conversion from Topgear AutoSport

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealed Beam Conversion from Topgear AutoSport

Has anyone seen or installed these on their firebird? Does anyone know if it's compatible? If so , what hid bulb will fit in it?

http://www.topgearautosport.com/part...FUQehgodAIYE0g
Old 07-17-2016, 12:46 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Unfortunately those are...
1.) The wrong size (too big) for both 1993-1997 Firebird & 1998-2002 Firebird
2.) Overpriced (you can find cheaper by half or less almost anywhere)
3.) Poor Quality / Badly designed (that hunk of glass stuck inside is to fool people into thinking its a projector when it isn't and it will ruin the beam pattern - also - technically the description on that website is a lie since these are not projectors).

Which year Firebird?

If you want them for the 1998-2002 Firebird and plan to stick with Halogen, check out the LMC Truck Housings. They are the correct size and have a good beam pattern. Stick with Halogen though. Don't put HID in those housings. However, there are brighter Halogen bulbs that will fit (but might need trimming a tab on the bulb). 9011 replaces 9005. 9012 replaces 9006.

If you want HID & Projectors, check out the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

I think these are the part numbers and application of the LMC Truck Housings that will fit 1998-2002 Firebird:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=65
88-89 GMC Truck
Low Beam: 36-0302
High Beam: 36-0303

Info on the brighter bulbs:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post18857585

Last edited by VIP1; 07-17-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:42 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the informative reply. I have a 98 ws6. And I know everyone will tell me not to do it, but I do want to try the hid bulbs in the housing. It's a garage queen and I don't drive her much as it is. Purely for aesthetics and to match my 6k LED's in the fogs I already have in there.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares if it blinds folks on the occasions when you do drive at night, as long as it looks good doing it.. matching fogs is much more important than the safety of other drivers.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
Who cares if it blinds folks on the occasions when you do drive at night, as long as it looks good doing it.. matching fogs is much more important than the safety of other drivers.
Hell yeah!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
Hell yeah!
Agreed!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd personally go with laser beams

Old 11-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone got a link to these laser beams?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by hardtrailz
Anyone got a link to these laser beams?
You scrolled past them to post that question.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Launching!

I was hoping for some that did not need gorilla tape to mount em.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I was hoping for some that did not need gorilla tape to mount em.
Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking. What is it you are looking for?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Launching!

The link goes to a laser pointer not a headlight so you would need some BS attachment and it would do nothing anyway for lighting. I was being sarcastic, but that does not transfer across forums well much of the time.
I actually just checked the tracking for my LMC lights I ordered and am hping to have good luck with them and some upgrades on the fogs.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

AH
Old 12-05-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

LMC + HIDs are the worse of the worse.... I've tried them all. If you're going to blind people, there's better housings out there for about the same price. Or put some Hella 60mm projectors and be set.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Launching!

If I go HID I would do projectors, but the cost of the Hella and mounting plates far exceeds the basic upgrade to LMC w Halogen

What housings are better than the LMC? I could not find anything referenced anywhere that was superior.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I go HID I would do projectors, but the cost of the Hella and mounting plates far exceeds the basic upgrade to LMC w Halogen

What housings are better than the LMC? I could not find anything referenced anywhere that was superior.
I originally thought the same and went with LMC, a week later I had a set of 60mm Hella projectors. With HIDs, the LMC housings were the worse of the 3 non-sealed beams I've ran in past with HIDs. I've ran LMC, Eurolights and Bosch. Of those 3, Bosch is the best option.

A pair of 60mm Hella's are less than $3 of compared to a pair of LMC housings. The only additional cost is $50 for a pair of mounting plates and how much more light you get from them is unreal in comparison to LMC. Those are Hella low beam and Morimoto knockoff fogs in my sig pic if curious the output.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Launching!

I am not trying to do HID or have a project honestly. I wanted plug/play basic upgrade and like the idea of swapping bulbs vs sealed units.

However I found the plates for $60. I saw it was a few dollars difference for the Hella. Money was not hugely different, but it covers the $30 for the morimoto knockoff fogs plus some beers.

I am sure I wont be done playing with lighting. I have 8 or 10 HID kits and 4 sets of full headlights for my truck, plus a couple sets of LED bulbs. It seems to rotate lighting plenty even without taking into account the dozens of LED pods and bars for it.

Hopefully I can just make the plates over the winter and do the Hella or similar projectors. Then I can just use the LMC on my 91 Burban.

--I looked some and still not finding any kinda link to the Bosch housings. Where are they sold so I can just compare for my own curiosity?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am not trying to do HID or have a project honestly. I wanted plug/play basic upgrade and like the idea of swapping bulbs vs sealed units.

However I found the plates for $60. I saw it was a few dollars difference for the Hella. Money was not hugely different, but it covers the $30 for the morimoto knockoff fogs plus some beers.

I am sure I wont be done playing with lighting. I have 8 or 10 HID kits and 4 sets of full headlights for my truck, plus a couple sets of LED bulbs. It seems to rotate lighting plenty even without taking into account the dozens of LED pods and bars for it.

Hopefully I can just make the plates over the winter and do the Hella or similar projectors. Then I can just use the LMC on my 91 Burban.

--I looked some and still not finding any kinda link to the Bosch housings. Where are they sold so I can just compare for my own curiosity?
If you're just wanting halogen, I take everything back for sure! I think LMC or Bosch would be perfectly fine. Just when I put HIDs in them, it's pretty bad. The one nice thing about Bosch is they use H4 bulbs so you have hi/low on each housing.

I was originally going to make my own plates, but after seeing them in person I'm glad I didn't. Alot of time is involved to get it right IMO. But if you're drinking beer while doing it, I'd do it just to drink!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Launching!

I dont want halogen long term, but wanted something decent in that aspect for now since I really dont have the time to play with the car. The LMC appeals since I have Osram, Silverstar, and other bulbs that will fit the housings already. I have did HID in reg housings years n years ago and know how well that turns out. I would like to do this one right and may do the bi-projectors custom later.

I got some good help when it comes to stuff like the plates so it could be fun or I may drink the brews and accidentally click buy now one night.

I do appreciate the input and love how your lighting turned out. Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're golden then with halogen, they are definitely decent housings for that. If you get bored one night, get pictures of both halogen and HIDs in the LMC housings. I never took the time to see a side-by-side comparison and I'm sure others would maybe be curious.

There is no real good options for us other than what BLS did with Morimoto D2S but that's some serious $$$. Personally quad bi-xenon retrofit is my ultimate goal, just need to spend some more time on my idea.

Quick Reply: Sealed Beam Conversion from Topgear AutoSport