Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome job man, you know how to do it right. Im about to venture down the same path with my newly purchased 01 SS now that its down for the winter. After time has passed, what are your thoughts on the Blackheart? I've had one on the way, if it ever gets off backorder
Old 12-17-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Awesome!! I'll pm you with more questions over time, I'm in the process of redoing a bunch of stuff on my car also and I might end up going the same route as you.
I'd love to be of help.

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Awesome job man, you know how to do it right. Im about to venture down the same path with my newly purchased 01 SS now that its down for the winter. After time has passed, what are your thoughts on the Blackheart? I've had one on the way, if it ever gets off backorder
Still love it! I just helped a friend put a similar setup on his cammed 98 stripper SS (Speed Engineering Long Tubes, 3" high flow cats, Hooker offroad catback). He is a big fan now too. More importantly, our wives approve of the cars now lol.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am the guilty party mentioned above lol. Love the sound, no rasp, no nasty exhaust smell and very impressive ground clearance. I'm lowered on a koni/strano setup and the collectors are the lowest part of the whole system. My ONLY real complaint on the whole system are the tips. I would have paid an extra $50-100 for tips that were closer to a corsa/magnaflow double-walled style. Other than that, amazing value for the money. The wife doesn't say I smell like the garage after I've driven the car now, big improvement haha! And a huge thank you to RebelExtrm02 for his help and attention to detail, couldn't have done it without him!
Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to hear on the ground clearance, I have koni/strano's as well.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Did you buy the long tube header system or the short headers?? I'm wanting to do the long tube. I'm also wanting to lower it 1-2" with Koni's. How much clearance do you have between the collector and the pavement? Could you take a picture? O buy the way the painting on your car was great,you are a master of detail. I wish I had the room and talent to paint.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Did you buy the long tube header system or the short headers?? I'm wanting to do the long tube. I'm also wanting to lower it 1-2" with Koni's. How much clearance do you have between the collector and the pavement? Could you take a picture? O buy the way the painting on your car was great,you are a master of detail. I wish I had the room and talent to paint.
We both bought the midlength offroad system and cut them to fit our long tubes. I have TSP 1 7/8" long tubes and he has Speed Engineering 1 7/8" long tubes.

Clearance at the collector and driver side cat is 3". I attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.-img_1032.jpg   I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.-img_1033.jpg  
Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
We both bought the midlength offroad system and cut them to fit our long tubes. I have TSP 1 7/8" long tubes and he has Speed Engineering 1 7/8" long tubes.

Clearance at the collector and driver side cat is 3". I attached a picture.
Excellent clearance!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bet that was satisfying as hell

any videos? curious how that exhaust sounds.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great thread rebel. I'm eventually going to do most of what you did to yours. You have good pics that show everything and the results. Thanks for this and keep up the great work.

And ps. I love bolt Depot. I have recently purchased some stuff from them too.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best part of this read was

" I tried contacting BLS to buy a pair of lenses but I was ignored both times"

You did what any hot rodder would ,build your own. Thumbs up...
Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

OP your as bad as me (car looks great by the way), I started a simple 6.0/4l80e swap into my S10 last winter and ended up sand blasting the bare frame in my driveway and rebuilding it from the ground up. It's now about 90% finished and hope to have it done by spring. Few little changes happened along the way like narrowing the frame/ TR6060 trans and LSA super charger and Holley EFI, I plan on having some fun with it before starting on the badly needed body and paint work on the exterior.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn.... awesome write up on your build. All the attention put on detail was really nice to see. I'm in the process of finishing a build myself and I'm already starting to get nervous/ excited for the first start, hopefully here in a few months ��
Old 02-20-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Reznor
bet that was satisfying as hell

any videos? curious how that exhaust sounds.
I know I have one of me pulling it out of the garage. I havent taken one of me driving yet. I need to do that.

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
Great thread rebel. I'm eventually going to do most of what you did to yours. You have good pics that show everything and the results. Thanks for this and keep up the great work.

And ps. I love bolt Depot. I have recently purchased some stuff from them too.
Im all ears if you need any help.

Originally Posted by pancho toco loco
Best part of this read was

" I tried contacting BLS to buy a pair of lenses but I was ignored both times"

You did what any hot rodder would ,build your own. Thumbs up...
I still don't understand what the deal was with selling me a couple lenses. Oh well. Now I can make as many as I want.

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
OP your as bad as me (car looks great by the way), I started a simple 6.0/4l80e swap into my S10 last winter and ended up sand blasting the bare frame in my driveway and rebuilding it from the ground up. It's now about 90% finished and hope to have it done by spring. Few little changes happened along the way like narrowing the frame/ TR6060 trans and LSA super charger and Holley EFI, I plan on having some fun with it before starting on the badly needed body and paint work on the exterior.
I wish I had gone supercharged. If I knew in the beginning that Id be buying a whole new top end I would have definitely went forced. Keep me posted on your truck!

Originally Posted by BennyB
Damn.... awesome write up on your build. All the attention put on detail was really nice to see. I'm in the process of finishing a build myself and I'm already starting to get nervous/ excited for the first start, hopefully here in a few months ��
Its definitely worth it. I had a gentleman chase me down in a Hobby Lobby parking lot the other day to talk to me about the car. He couldnt believe how nice it was. Aparently he had a 96 when they first came out. He kept telling me to never sell my car. Said he regrets it to this day haha. You'll have to keep us posted on your progress!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love what you did to this car. I just picked up a one owner, high mile (127K), and unmolested '00 SS. I'd love to do to it what you have done here. Bad-assery.
The following users liked this post:
Jimbo1367 (04-13-2021)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Was looking for the this thread. Never got a chance to do this to the last one. Just got a new car that came from up north and lord I’ve got to do something with the underneath rust.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
Was looking for the this thread. Never got a chance to do this to the last one. Just got a new car that came from up north and lord I’ve got to do something with the underneath rust.
Surface rust or more serious?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

From what I can tel so far it all just looks to be surface rust but there’s a good bit of it
Old 04-10-2021, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Wow. U did a lot of work. Congrats. Wanna sell it now ?

LOL
Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by juniorssrollin
Amazing build! You went above and beyond.
On your catch can with the LS6 cover, the top fitting is going to the valley cover correct? Lower one to the intake manifold?
Just checking as this is how mine is.
you are correct

Quick Reply: I had an oil leak, so I decided to take my whole car apart.