Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting formula BSM

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting formula BSM

Well I finally broke down today and got me some estimates on painting my 98 formula Black Sapphire metallic. One guy i went to qouted me $14,245.00 which is way to freaking much. Another guy wanted $4,500 bucks to do it. Well the last guy I tried has just opened up a new shop and I spoke with him personally about everything I wanted done. He said the body is in perfect shape so no real body work has to be done. This guy has worked at a dealership for 20 years painting and doing body work so he knows what he's doing. I have seen some work by him before and it includes ghost flames and a full body repaint on a 93 Mustang LX which belongs to a buddy of mine. He did a really nice job considering my buddy wouldn't let him wetsand the final time and also buff the paint like he's supposed to. But thats my buddies fault not his and it still looks damn good. Well anyways he qouted me $2,000 bucks for the total job. I am completly amazed by this as I was expecting higher price than this. He explained that he would stripe it down to base coat and then wetsand the base coat to get all deep scratches out then he would paint over the factory paint job because he says that the black paint already on the car would act as a primer. In theory this sounds good but I was concerned because if there is a little bit of clearcoat left that he doesn't get or see and paints over it wouldn't it in time bubble up and peel? Well this sounds almost to good to be true but he does do some nice work from what i've seen. Any comments on this?
Old 06-19-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

be original, and there is no way you should get a $2000 paint job
Old 06-19-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ask if he will warranty his work against bubbling/peeling, etc.

If you have seen his work first hand and he can duplicate it for the price he quoted you then go for it.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that color is taken
Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-19-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Actually it may be taken but you have a TA and I have a formula also I have been working towards getting this color for a very long time. I've been through alot of pain preping this car myself and also working to save the money. I think since i have worked so hard to accomplish this I am free to choose whatever color i wish. And actually mine isn't going to look like yours because you have the Sapphire black metallic with blue coating mixed in which gives it the different color look in the sun. I am going straight sapphire metallic which is just a very high gloss black. Oh and by the way if you have an objection to someone else wanting to paint there car the same color as your own even though they have been through just as much as you then thats your problem. Oh and by the way since you want to get technical about it you are actually selling your car so its really not any of your concern. Yes your car is gorgeous and I didn't get the original idea from you anyways. Oh and 45k for your car i wish you very good luck with that but like my old man says there is a sucker born everyday. Done
Old 06-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
Actually it may be taken but you have a TA and I have a formula also I have been working towards getting this color for a very long time. I've been through alot of pain preping this car myself and also working to save the money. I think since i have worked so hard to accomplish this I am free to choose whatever color i wish. And actually mine isn't going to look like yours because you have the Sapphire black metallic with blue coating mixed in which gives it the different color look in the sun. I am going straight sapphire metallic which is just a very high gloss black. Oh and by the way if you have an objection to someone else wanting to paint there car the same color as your own even though they have been through just as much as you then thats your problem. Oh and by the way since you want to get technical about it you are actually selling your car so its really not any of your concern. Yes your car is gorgeous and I didn't get the original idea from you anyways. Oh and 45k for your car i wish you very good luck with that but like my old man says there is a sucker born everyday. Done
lol, damn bro, calm down. Im pretty sure he was just kidding... and try using periods and coma's every once and while.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

got periods?
Old 06-20-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

you can shoot over good clearcoat just fine..as long as its nice shape it's fine....

Jeremy
Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

You should really dig that sand out of your vagina. It's making you irritable.

I'm pretty sure that the comment was meant in jest.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the comment by alexWS6 was actually rude and don't blame *98Formula* for taking it the wrong way. He asked about the price and paint work, not about the color, stay on subject.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks MadIce I do get defensive when someone does something very very nice and then they advertise it plain as day and someone else gets the same idea they jump all over them. I am going to go around and get some more quotes and beleive me if I could change the color of the car I would but I dont have 15K to change the color of the car. And I would get it NBM if i changed it ( Oh wait that colors taken too) well **** maybe red Well come to think of that colors taken to I mean damn man get a grip. Anyways thanks for the input on being able to paint over clear but I am going to have them go through the clear because it would be the best way to do it. Over clear = MAACO. Thanks guys AlexWS6 man your car is nice and I hope mine looks half as good as yours but it wont so just chill.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks MadIce I do get defensive when someone does something very very nice and then they advertise it plain as day and someone else gets the same idea they jump all over them. I am going to go around and get some more quotes and beleive me if I could change the color of the car I would but I dont have 15K to change the color of the car. And I would get it NBM if i changed it ( Oh wait that colors taken too) well **** maybe red Well come to think of that colors taken to I mean damn man get a grip. Anyways thanks for the input on being able to paint over clear but I am going to have them go through the clear because it would be the best way to do it. Over clear = MAACO. Thanks guys AlexWS6 man your car is nice and I hope mine looks half as good as yours but it wont so just chill.

I'm chill. I thought it was obvious that my comment was a joke. I'm not sure it was worth altering the whole thread for either...

I am honored that you are considering making your car look similar to mine. I do believe you should choose a color that makes you happy, not the internet. For me, that was a color that no other f-body had. My car was going to be painted Medium Spiral Grey Metallic, but I changed my mind at the last second because there were already too many Grey WS6s (2? 3?). I was the first with the ccw 505a wheels, but started seeing them around too much and sold them.

Striving for originality is fun, but its not always possible.

The choice is up to you, not us. Good luck with the project.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it. I had too much trouble when trying to get out of body work the cheap way. Intend to pay for quality.... 14,000.00, that guy should of been smacked but for 2,000.00. Your going to get 2,000.00 of work.

Go to an auto show and ask how much those paint jobs cost and look at their defects, what makes you think you'll get better quality for 1,000's less?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure where your at but around here a $3,000 paint job is just about the BEST your gunna get!

Josh S.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is $3000-$8000 what I should expect to pay for a good paint job, changing color from Pewter to SOM? I want door jambs, and any exposed pewter painted. I dunno about engine bay... That would probably make it way expensive!
Old 07-10-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

I can't see any paint job (OK... maybe a color shifter type) costing that much. At that price, it would be easier to buy a car in the color you want.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ur changing the color, so are you intending on having the jams and engine bay painted?

if so 2k is nowhere close to the appropriate cost.

14k is high but he would do it right and if he didn't you would have the right to break his knee caps.

for a great quality job i would even go to say that 4k is not enough.

i would be looking to spend 6-8k if you are getting a real paint color change.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Well I finally broke down today and got me some estimates on painting my 98 formula Black Sapphire metallic. One guy i went to qouted me $14,245.00 which is way to freaking much. Another guy wanted $4,500 bucks to do it. Well the last guy I tried has just opened up a new shop and I spoke with him personally about everything I wanted done. He said the body is in perfect shape so no real body work has to be done. This guy has worked at a dealership for 20 years painting and doing body work so he knows what he's doing. I have seen some work by him before and it includes ghost flames and a full body repaint on a 93 Mustang LX which belongs to a buddy of mine. He did a really nice job considering my buddy wouldn't let him wetsand the final time and also buff the paint like he's supposed to. But thats my buddies fault not his and it still looks damn good. Well anyways he qouted me $2,000 bucks for the total job. I am completly amazed by this as I was expecting higher price than this. He explained that he would stripe it down to base coat and then wetsand the base coat to get all deep scratches out then he would paint over the factory paint job because he says that the black paint already on the car would act as a primer. In theory this sounds good but I was concerned because if there is a little bit of clearcoat left that he doesn't get or see and paints over it wouldn't it in time bubble up and peel? Well this sounds almost to good to be true but he does do some nice work from what i've seen. Any comments on this?
This is WAY too cheap for a color change,specially if doing jambs and under hood.Materials alone will run that easily.Besides if there is nothing wrong with current paint(bubbling,peeling,excessive paint layers,etc.)there is no reason to take down to base,even though there is NO way possble w/o breaking through to sealer below the base.All in all expect to pay 7-10k for a TRUE color change paint job

Quick Reply: Painting formula BSM