Sponsored by: DashLynx

6th gen speedo in a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default 6th gen speedo in a 4th gen

Anybody looked into doing this?

Im considering a change from my current setup and stumbled across this (obviously some things are not compatable, but im running a stand alone ECM with outputs for the individual signals already (something have swapped to aftermarket senders but could be swapped back.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you see this done?
Old 11-01-2018, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

I havnt was curious if anyone ever looked into it or thought about it.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

At a certain point all the gm's switched over to the canbus crap. Basically if you want to run canbus your easiest solution is to swap out the pcm to one that matches the gauges and then program it to your drivetrain and change out the sensors as needed. Trying to convert the pcm signal to run canbus gauges is incredibly tricky.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Which means I need to.swap engines to run that setup, or use a converter for.my current setuo. Even then probably wouldn't have full functionality outside of the gauges.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You wouldn't likely need the ECM to make the speedo work. Wheel speed sensor signals are sent to the ABS module, then a bussed signal is sent over to the cluster (which is its own CAN module). It's not hardwired. Not saying it can't be done, more like how much money you wanna spend? The ECM may receive those signals as well, but the ECM isn't the module that displays vehicle speed. I can't speak specifically for GM, but I've worked with CAN bus messaging at Chrysler for about a decade, this isn't something that's easily swapped. It's hard enough to get a cluster from one CAN bus based vehicle to work in another, let alone in a non-CAN based vehicle.

Last edited by drdave88; 11-05-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my working with it, the ECM is needed for a lot of it's functions as it stores information like mileage, settings, etc...
Old 11-14-2018, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It would be a tall task to build an interface to allow it to work outside of a 6th gen. It would be the same deal on a old *** pre- canbus 99-02 F body cluster as half the gauges and 3/4 of the warning lights get signals off 1 class 2 serial data wire.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

alright you guys have satiated my curiosity. Since my newest car is the goat i forget how much tech has changed on the controls side of things over the past decade (feel really damn old saying that) may look another direction....just get bored from time to time. Its hard these days to do something different without recreating the wheel with f bodies. not giving up on the platform just thinking out-loud.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It might be fairly straightforward to mimic the style of the 6th gen cluster using a 3 3/8 tach and speedo and a 5" data logger in between them and factory like bezel to tie it all together. That would likely require reshaping somewhat the dash surround, but there is a ton of free room around the cluster behing the dash surround. Theres a few good data loggers but they arent cheap. AEM, Holley and Motec all have very good ones. A 5" Motec C125 flanked with a speedhut analog tach and speedo would be beautiful thing. The C125( as well as the other brands) can do so much the analog tach and speedo would be redundant, but awesome none the less . As with anything, how much do you wanna spend.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

You and I have talked on this subject before back.when fieroluke was still making the oled screen odometer controllers. I kind of wanted a tach in the center with oleds on either side but dropped the ball on that project. Speed hut has some very nice stuff . I'm already running aftermarket guages they just aren't as suited to the car as I originally thought when I built them and I've been considering a change over.... modifying and cost don't usually discourage me either hahaha. I've actually concidered just swapping it all out for speed hut guages, but I like the idea of being a bit different to go with all the other changes to the car.

I also at one point thought about using an app like.torque that supports themes so I could have customizable.guages and use a tablet.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 11-14-2018 at 10:28 PM.