Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4th Gen Dashboard Restoration Airbag Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen Dashboard Restoration Airbag Cover

Looking for some guidance. I have a dash in my car currently with a curling pass airbag cover. This is a common problem, I know but what are you doing about it? My car is a mint example and I refuse to believe I just have to deal with this. I bought the last NOS dash available and when it arrived it had millions of micro cracks all over the vinyl surface from sitting in a box for 14+ years. The airbag cover is perfect, but the vinyl covering it is also cracking. I know it's bonded to the dash, but has anyone successfully recovered a dash and airbag cover and got the cover bonded back correctly?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

When I first bought my Formula the leather or vinyl covering the pass. airbag was curling up also, I just simply put alot of protectent on it.
The stuff I use is "Lucas" Slick Mist Interior Detailer but I guess you can use anything as long its safe to use on plastic, vinyl, and leather and its has UV Resistant in it.
Since its on downward tilt I laid a towel on the airbag cover and sprayed the towel making it wet and let it set overnight and the next day I respayed it again and buffed it out and I was good-to-go. Now your case might be more serious so you want might have to do this a couple of times.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Teching In

At this point nothing is going to reverse the small cracks all over the nos dash so it needs recovered. Has anyone recovered their dashes in vinyl and if so, what did you do about the airbag cover?
Old 01-14-2017, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having the same issue. My intention is to cover it with a pad which will match my RedLine leather gauge bezel cover. I'm hoping to get the same material that the gauge bezel is made from (black perforated leather) & create a cover/pad that will be just 1/4" larger than the airbag pad. Passenger side matching the drivers side. It should look asemetrical, as if it made that way. Possibly have it embroiled with WS6 emblem. It's left to be seen if this will look good or not.
Worth a try.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone solved this? Happening to my 97 camaro
Old 05-22-2021, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I'd suggest flocking the dash. There are videos on youtube showing the process.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i am gunna have my dash recovered and eliminate the pass bag
Old 05-24-2021, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
i am gunna have my dash recovered and eliminate the pass bag
Yeah I'm tempted to do the same. Maybe less safe but do you really trust 20+ year old airbags with curling covers lol
Old 05-25-2021, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Damn resurrection

I have taken this cover off on a dash I was covering in leather due to the curling. The airbag cover is a nightmare to separate from the dash. GM used a thick green type adhesive that almost looks like that cheap green kitty hair fiberglass stuff you get at parts stores. I guess for good reason, when the dash cover blasts open, the foam piece thats attached to it needs to stay bonded. When these dashes were produced new, they were inserted into a mold and the pre cut foam/vinyl covering was heat pressed and bonded around the dash core. Once they start to curl from age there's no going back. All the heat and cool cycles expanding and contracting over the years build memory into the material and its near impossible to get the corners to lay flat again.

This cover is alot more complicated than it would seem. The base dash is glass filled 6/6 nylon, there are molded in reliefs in the shape of the passenger bag flap so it breaks away cleanly. In between the dash core and top foam/vinyl piece is a bonded mesh cloth material thats riveted to metal straps so the flap stays connected if the bag is deployed.

So in short, if you modified this part Id just remove the bag entirely. Then you could remove the oem flap, use like a high density rigid foam piece in the same thickness as OEM cut to shape. Mold the piece to the dash with heat. Bond with DAP ladau top and trim, and cover with a leather or vinyl material of your choice. Sorry but this one wouldnt be an easy repair.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Damn resurrection

I have taken this cover off on a dash I was covering in leather due to the curling. The airbag cover is a nightmare to separate from the dash. GM used a thick green type adhesive that almost looks like that cheap green kitty hair fiberglass stuff you get at parts stores. I guess for good reason, when the dash cover blasts open, the foam piece thats attached to it needs to stay bonded. When these dashes were produced new, they were inserted into a mold and the pre cut foam/vinyl covering was heat pressed and bonded around the dash core. Once they start to curl from age there's no going back. All the heat and cool cycles expanding and contracting over the years build memory into the material and its near impossible to get the corners to lay flat again.

This cover is alot more complicated than it would seem. The base dash is glass filled 6/6 nylon, there are molded in reliefs in the shape of the passenger bag flap so it breaks away cleanly. In between the dash core and top foam/vinyl piece is a bonded mesh cloth material thats riveted to metal straps so the flap stays connected if the bag is deployed.

So in short, if you modified this part Id just remove the bag entirely. Then you could remove the oem flap, use like a high density rigid foam piece in the same thickness as OEM cut to shape. Mold the piece to the dash with heat. Bond with DAP ladau top and trim, and cover with a leather or vinyl material of your choice. Sorry but this one wouldnt be an easy repair.
Damn thanks for sharing. What i don't get is why is it not possible to peel up the door and then reglue it? Is the bonding just to strong to do so? My understanding is since the relief cuts for airbag deployment are glued to the 'door' then provided it was re-glued strongly it shouldn't impact the functionality of the airbag deployment?

I'd rather leave the airbags in there as part of originality if I can, although if its just not possible then yeah I guess removing the airbags and gluing in a new piece would be the only logical option?
Old 05-25-2021, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Just to add to this, Here in Australia/New Zealand the Holden Commodores of the 90's had the exact same issue, with a similar dash and very similar airbag 'door'. They are were very common to lift up the same way. GM actually had a replacement 'door' that could be re-glued to them as I understand a lot were lifting under warranty period of the time.

Parts long discontinued, and irrelevant to our 4th gen f-bodies, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Once they start to curl from age there's no going back. All the heat and cool cycles expanding and contracting over the years build memory into the material and its near impossible to get the corners to lay flat again.
Just a thought on this...

I don't think that age alone is a primary factor, at least not at the present age of these cars. I don't often see this issue on sub-20k-ish mileage examples, including my own, or even some with quite a bit more mileage than that. I suspect that heat and sun exposure over a period of time is more likely to blame, so for the folks who might buy a garage queen example with a non-curling cover, but then start parking it out in the sun a lot more often, perhaps a sun shade would be advisable protection.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Just a thought on this...

I don't think that age alone is a primary factor, at least not at the present age of these cars. I don't often see this issue on sub-20k-ish mileage examples, including my own, or even some with quite a bit more mileage than that. I suspect that heat and sun exposure over a period of time is more likely to blame, so for the folks who might buy a garage queen example with a non-curling cover, but then start parking it out in the sun a lot more often, perhaps a sun shade would be advisable protection.
I agree and meant what you said. You worded it better Mine has never sat out in the sun for extended periods and I don't have the curling edge issue @ 85K miles.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I agree and meant what you said. You worded it better Mine has never sat out in the sun for extended periods and I don't have the curling edge issue @ 85K miles.
Wow...85k. If the car still looks like the condition in your signature picture, then you are definitely doing things right. Looks more like 25k. On another side note, great choice on the 35th wheels - they actually look much better to me on an SOM car than on the factory Z4C red ones.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. The pic was a couple years ago, its only seen maybe a 1000 miles since then. These cars dont hold up well if outside all the time. Not seeing winters, rain occasionally and being the garage, at 85K miles It's feeling pretty much like a couple year old car. Thanks on the wheels too. Im going to be moving on to an 11" wheel/315 tire all around , it will be bittersweet not seeing them on the car anymore.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Dashboard Restoration Airbag Cover