Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailing HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing HELP

Need some help! Car came off the shipping trailer filthy (was supposed to be enclosed).......shipper then used a DRY microfiber towel to try and clean the dirt. Just rubbed it everywhere.

I've been cleaning it up.....used a Chemical Guys Orange pad with Chemical Guys Swirl Remover on the front fender, and it came out like this...did I cut too far? Not enough? Curious what happened and how I can fix it. From a few feetaway it looks fine. But up close there are a thousand small scratches now... rest of the car looks good though(bottom pic). Switched to Chemical Guys green pad and it went a lot better...HELP??
Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like you are dealing with hard paint and the combination you have is not enough to remove the defects. Do you have any microfiber cutting pads?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Interesting okay. I'm using Chemical Guys hex pads. Sounds like I need to use a better compound is what you're saying?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am not sure how those compounds are. I don't use anything from chemical guys.

I have had great success with Meguiar's D300 and the Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads on hard paint.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I cant comment on Chemical guys or their pads as Ive never used them. That being said, On C5/6/7, I typically have to get pretty agressive unless the swirling is fairly minor. The clear is rock hard. My go to's on the Vettes for the correction process is Mezerna FG300 if its severe, severe to moderate I will normally use FG400 and always use a microfiber cutting disc. I also will use on occasion use D300 like mentioned above, or meguires M101. If its hot and muggy the Megs works better than Mezerna imo.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The green pad is more aggressive than the orange pad. If things improved when you went to a more aggressive pad then I agree with TheGuz and LT4vert. You're dealing with a tough clearcoat. You might need to switch out that chemical guys single step compound for a system that has a heaving cutting compound (to remove the defects) and lighter polishing compound (to remove the micro-marring from the heavy cutting compound).

You may be able to keep the foam pads you have if you use a good compound like the FG300 listed above or Meguiars M101/M105. Then you can finish out with your orange foam pad with a polish like Meguiars M205.

If that doesn't work you'll probably need to pick up a microfiber cutting pad to replace the green pad as stated above. You can read this buffing pad guide to understand the microfiber pad recommendation. Long story short the fibers in a microfiber pads are abrasive so it increases the cut you can achieve with the same compound.

Quick Reply: Detailing HELP