Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Using detergent prior to Zaino treatment

Old 07-06-2004, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using detergent prior to Zaino treatment

Hi all,
i am trying to get my head ready to apply zaino to my pride and joy and needed to ask if anyone has had a problem washing the car with 'Dawn'.

I know that detergents should be avoided as they tend to 'burn' the paint.

Wanna get started on the job but need to feel sure I am not screwing up my paint by resorting to detergent to degrease the surface.

Also, I having trouble believing dawn gets rid of old wax and silicon...what are people's experience re this?

Last edited by 8POTS; 07-06-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

no problems using Liquid Dawn here

theres tons of debate over the use of it in all car care forums, all I know is it doesn't seem to hurt and I'm sure Sal wouldn't tell us to do something that would harm the paint.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

50/50 alcohol/water spray will do the job better and will be safer. Simply put it in a spray bottle and work your way around the car using a microfiber towel.

-T
Old 07-06-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up Dawn???

I be honest with you. I used Dawn on my 2001 Galazy Silver Monte Carlo SS and then applied Zaino Z2 to the car and DAMN!!!!, the thing looks killer!!! And for a silver car!!! You can actually see the silver metallic flakes in the paint!!!! If you read the directions, it says if you use Dawn twice a year, it WILL not hurt your car. I know that over time it could kill your clearcoat, but when you aplly the Zaino... you're all set!!! Plus, you NEED to get the layers of polish/wax/etc. you have built up on your car. IT WILL LOOK BETTER!!!! GOOD LUCK!!! and let us know how it came out!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:26 PM
PR Director

You will have no problems using dawn. It will strip all the wax on your car. It did for mine and you can feel/tell after washing with it. Go for it man and enjoy they beauty of your paint after you've finished applying zaino. Once you apply once you want to apply more and more and more, At least for me it did. You get addicted to the shine and wetness zaino gives you!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

I will second the 50/50 water/alcohol mix. Dawn may not harm your paint after one use, but what about your plastic, rubber, etc.?

Dawn has no affect on the shine of your car. Any properly prepped finish will look good. If you have any surface imperfections, get rid of them before applying Zaino or any wax/sealant.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Water/alcohol mix here too. I used Dawn in the past, and it worked, but I worry about the long-term effects of a product that is designed to remove grease on the paint and clear coat. I washed with car wash concentrate (Zaino, for the record), then 50/50 water and alcohol, then clay, then car wash concentrate again, then polished the bejeezus out of it with my Porter Cable and Menzerna. Finished everything off with Blackfire, though I later switched to NXT.

The results: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/174696-finally-took-some-pictures.html

-Mike
Old 07-06-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

I use Dawn every time I wash my SS. 4 yrs and no problems.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by planemech2
Wow, remind me not to buy your car.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:07 PM
PR Director

Originally Posted by planemech2
Man poor SS
Old 07-07-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

OUCH

As I stated way before, 50/50 water/alcohol mix is the best thing. It works WAY better than dawn, its much safer, and it is easier as well.

-T

Search this Thread