Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wet Sanding ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Sanding ?

I recently had my spoiler, rear bumper, rear and front gfx repainted. I took them in, brought them back, and reinstalled them. Three weeks later, I took them in on the car to be wet sanded. Before, they had the orange peel look and there looked to be a bunch of little pits on the top of the spoiler, and some dirt in the paint here and there. Well, I got the car back today, washed it, and inspected it. The pit are all gone, but there looks to be little scratches all over the place. Is this b/c they did not buff it out at all? Under normal light, it looks perfect, but once you get out the fluorescent overhead lights in my garage, you can see them. How could I tell if they did not buff it out? If they did, what can I use to get out the scratches? The paint is smooth, feels clay bar smooth, not really rough, but not twelve coats of Zaino smooth either. Thanks guys!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Launching!

They probably didn't switch out the pads between each compound. So the final polish had some of the more aggressive compound leaving the swirl in the paint. You can really tell if your in direct sunlight and look at it at the right angle. Also, you washing it might of made the scratches, but I dought that. It only takes a second for them to buff that out with a clean pad and the right polish.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. I noticed the scratches before the wash if that helps. All I have at home is 3m swirl remover and Zaino... I might have to run back by the shop tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys for the advice. Since it was the spoiler, rear bumper, rear SLP quad tip valences, and front Xenon gfx, I knew I could not get a 10 inch orbital onto all the places well to work the SMR, so I thought I would give this Zaino a try, and am pleased with the results. I washed the car with Z7 and took another look at it in the sunlight and then the flourescent lights, and it did not look that bad. I thought that maybe some Z5 would take care of it looking at it. As a result, I dawned the placed that had been painted, and then sprayed them down with Z6, and then put three coats of Z5 on all the places alternating with Z6. It really seemed to take care of the majority of the scratches. The paint does seem a little rough to the touch in places, could they have burned the clearcoat? I don't know what that would look like personally. It is on the part of the rear bumper on the ridge where the top flat part (the part that you could sit on) slopes down on the sides.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Launching!

I was at the track last night and noticed the problems you were having, the scratches really showed up on my freshly painted car when they turned the lights on when it was dark. It looked like they applied too much pressure with the buffer. I am going to go over it with my Orbital 8" buffer to find out what the deal is. Good luck with your car.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me know how it turns out. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

whenever i am buffing after wet sanding i use meguiars stage 2 polish then the new tech wax. works great!

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding ?