Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Going to restore my first car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to restore my first car.

Hello, i'm new the forum and wanted to ask a qestion, and now i am going to ask it . i'm restoring my 71 nova, write now its a real mested up, the tires are flat, theres about five 8 by 3 inch rust wholes, the seats are old theres a little mildo under the seats. what do i take care of first?

thanks for any replys.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's being stored inside where weather is not a problem, I would strip all of the paint and get a real good look at the sheetmetal underneath first. Years back when I started restoring my Camaro I did this, even though the body looked straight, and found loads of bondo that had to be removed and new sheetmetal put in. Plus my paint wasn't all that great, so I knew the old would have to come off. The mildew should be easy enough to fix when you decide to do it. Tires, again easy. Focus on the body first, IMO.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Teching In

i'm sorda new at this, and i don't realy know how the sheet metal should look, do you have any dascriptions or a piture with detales?

Thanks for any replys.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gut it and sand and grind down to bare metal. take out all the rust patches completley and patch them up later
Old 07-09-2004, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Hopefully you are working indoors. If so, strip the car down of all the parts (emblems, bumpers, grille, chrome trim, etc....) everything. Then have the car bead blasted or chemically stripped of all the paint/primer/bondo. Once you have a fresh paint-free surface, you can then figure out what needs to be repaired or replaced.

Give our sponsor Year One a call and request one of their catalogs for the Nova. Tons of parts in there, with nice photos.

Restoring a car is a TON of work, be prepared.