Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Color Scheme

Old 07-10-2004, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color Scheme

I have been looking over the forums for several days now looking for this question but cant find anything similiar to it. So i thought i would drop the question in here. I own a 2001 Firebird Formula. Factory Blue. Pics at the bottom. What my question is, is what color should the contrast color be? What i mean is, what color should I paint the calipers/strut tower brace/front license plate bird/ etc. etc. Here is a link I want the calipers to look like but not neccesarily that color. Also I plan on doing my engine bay the same way with the fuel rail covers and the painted slp air lid.

http://members.aol.com/camaro35thss1757/index.htm

I was thinking of a blue/red theme but not sure of how the outcome would look. I dont think the red/blue would be the best way to go. I painted my calipers and the little vents by the driver and passenger doors red. They look pretty good, but not absolutely amazing like the color scheme in the url i posted. Any suggestions would be very welcome

Just for info the interior is solid black with gloss balck trim. All leather.
I just purchsed a ws9 hood for the car and a slp loudmouth exhaust. Waiting for those to arrive.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

I've never seen a blue/red car, so that would be kind of interesting to see. Around here where I live, there are two blue firebirds. One of them has white and the other has silver accents. As far as strut towers and stuff like that goes. They should sell everything you need in the colors. Good Luck with it man, and be sure to post some pics so we can see how it turns out.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Blue/red would look good. Another thought is blue/yellow. It would be different, but still contrast well.

You might try taking a few pictures and drop them in the multimedia section, and ask some of the photoshop guys to super-impose different colors onto the parts you want to paint. That will give you some idea of what it would look like.

-Mike
Old 07-10-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats my website and my car!! What's going on in here??
Old 07-10-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked silver accents on blue...I'm not a big fan of yellow or red with blue...a little too overstated for my taste, but to each, his/her own...
Old 07-10-2004, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Travis I was just using ur car as an example of what I plan on doing to my car. Very sweet looking ride by the way.

I think ill post pics of rmy car and have someone superimpose colors on there like chupra suggested. Ill post pics on the bird during and after the exhaust upgrade and mods.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have a NBM Formula also, and I think you should go with either white, silver, or a lighter blue to go with the Navy.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Hmmmm a lighter blue might look very nice. What about a dark gloss black?
Old 07-10-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think red would look good. Ive only seen blue and silver. Red would stand out
Old 07-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Silver is very safe and cool. I've always liked red calipers on almost every color car. If you went with darker yellow (maize ) it might look cool. I might consider it, being a U-M alum, but that could be very in your face if it's more than a little accent.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:06 AM
12 Second Club

Silver always looks good on blue.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

I went with a "Candy Apple" red... Looked gorgeous in the bright sunlight !!

You can check the pics in my sig... the quality isn't too good though... they were scanned from photos that I had. Didn't have a digital at the time.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Wow that looks nice. Your car blue or black. Looks almost black. That candy apple contrast looks awesome. Keep the ideas coming
Old 07-11-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks... it was Navy Blue Metallic... same as yours. Believe me too... the pictures didn't do it justice.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Wow i might have to try that candy apple red.. looks very nice. I dont like the purple trim and plicense plate but the rest looks awesome.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote goes for a silverish grey/pewter color....will contrast really well with both dark blue and with the black interior, and looks really classy when done right.

OT: Vassago, nice nickname....yeah, i'd want Lady Death to ride me, too...

here's some linkage if anyone doesn't know what i'm talking about:

Vassago
Old 07-11-2004, 03:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vassago
Wow i might have to try that candy apple red.. looks very nice. I dont like the purple trim and plicense plate but the rest looks awesome.
Yeah... I must admit that I was never really sure of the whole purple thing. I was just trying to be different, and some liked it, some hated it. I think, to this day, I still don't know whether I liked it or not. BUT, she's gone now so it don't matter
Old 07-11-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd definatley go with the silver.

i wouldn't put black with navy blue on the exterior. ask any woman that knows fashion, black and navy blue does not go together. navy on the ex and black on the int. is another story tho.

yellow or red would seem tacky to me personally. candy apple is different because its got a darker tone to match up with the tonality of the navy blue.

a light or lighter blue on the navy seems kinda miami vice but i'm picturing a sky blue color so who knows.

basically, again id say silver because it will look clean and classy and it will keep your exterior colors to a limit of 3 colors if you nix the amber. keep it blue silver and black-keep it clean
Old 07-11-2004, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Wow thanks for the posts. I am pretty sure im gonna try either the candy apple red or the silver now. If I go with the silver i was thinking of a high gloss silver. Im not going to do to much silver though. I dont want stripe kits or race stripes. It will be just a simple vent and caliper job.

Should i leave the calipers red if i go with silver or should i drop them a high gloss silver coat also?

btw this is a reference to my name also.... i dont really like being named after a horse. even though lady death is my rider.. hmmmmmm

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/deliri...gy/vassago.asp
Old 07-11-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen a few NBM cars with silver trim and it looks great IMO.
Yellow looks okay on NBM, but a little too overstated for me personally.
Red with NBM brings to mind Legos or some Playskool toys.
Good luck
Dave

Search this Thread