Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some detailing help .... please

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some detailing help .... please

Hey Guys,

I am a real novice when it comes to detailing but really want to restore the finish on my 2001 SS to near perfect conditions again. It is NB Metallic and I keep it stored in my Garage almost always, so the paint is still shiny but it has a fair amount of swirl marks and a few light scratches. What is the best procedure for me to get the finish looking like smooth glass again without spending over $50-$70. I have an orbital buffer but do not mind spending a day doing everything by hand. Do I clay the car and then do a one or two step waxing of some sort ?? Also what is the absolute best product to use within that price range ? I know Zano used to be the best but I'm open to any recommendations.

TIA,
Mitch
Old 07-13-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, that's a loaded question, and you are going to get lots of different answers.

That budget isn't going to get you too much, because you need supplies to maintain your finish after you fix it. Don't expect a perfect finish with that budget, either.

Something cheap, locally available, and "hand-friendly" is Meguiar's ScracthX and 3M SMR 39009. These will work decently by hand or with your buffer. As for wax/sealants...I would order something to give a better selection of products. I really like Wolfgang Pre-Wax & Deep Gloss Paint Sealant ( www.autogeek.net ). Another good possibility would be Klasse AIO & S100 Carnauba ( available at your local Harley store ). Tons of options - do some research if you want ( www.autopia.org ).

You need some nice towels and mitts, too. I use Pak Shak towels with GREAT success ( www.pakshak.com ). I suggest a Waffle Weave drying towel, an Ultra-Fine towel, and a handful of Ultra towels. Find a nice cotton or sheepskin mitt.

A good procedure would be:
Wash
Clay
Wash
ScratchX or 3M 39009
Klasse AIO or WG Pre-Wax
S100 or WG Sealant

PM me before you buy anything; I can get you some discounts.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Wow, that's a loaded question, and you are going to get lots of different answers.

That budget isn't going to get you too much, because you need supplies to maintain your finish after you fix it. Don't expect a perfect finish with that budget, either.

Something cheap, locally available, and "hand-friendly" is Meguiar's ScracthX and 3M SMR 39009. These will work decently by hand or with your buffer. As for wax/sealants...I would order something to give a better selection of products. I really like Wolfgang Pre-Wax & Deep Gloss Paint Sealant ( www.autogeek.net ). Another good possibility would be Klasse AIO & S100 Carnauba ( available at your local Harley store ). Tons of options - do some research if you want ( www.autopia.org ).

You need some nice towels and mitts, too. I use Pak Shak towels with GREAT success ( www.pakshak.com ). I suggest a Waffle Weave drying towel, an Ultra-Fine towel, and a handful of Ultra towels. Find a nice cotton or sheepskin mitt.

A good procedure would be:
Wash
Clay
Wash
ScratchX or 3M 39009
Klasse AIO or WG Pre-Wax
S100 or WG Sealant

PM me before you buy anything; I can get you some discounts.
That is extremely helpful - thank you ! My price range was just for the first time treatment, I don't mind spending extra later to maintain the finish. What would I need to maintain the finish ?

Thanks again !
Old 07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Geeesh , I forgot to say that I have a small tube of the Scratch X and it does work pretty good. What gets the swirls out though ?? Does the Clay procedure get those out or am I using Scratch X on the whole car or just the light scratches ?

THanks,
Mitch
Old 07-13-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

You aren't going to be able to get rid of all the swirls without something like a Porter Cable buffer and some more aggressive polishes. Claying just removes surface contaminants.

To maintain your finish you need a good wash, towels and mitts, detail spray, etc.

Most people don't understand the investment to have a really nice finish. Let me know if you need more direction or have any other questions.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Make sure you are using your ScratchX properly. Work the product into the surface for 3-4 minutes on a single section. It has diminishing abrasives, which get smaller and smaller the more you rub it in. This helps with minor scratches of all sorts.

Quick Reply: Need some detailing help .... please