Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Zaino, Leatherique Leather Dye, & Our Leather (Big Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino, Leatherique Leather Dye, & Our Leather (Big Pics)

I got my SS last November. The leather was in excellant shape besides some driver's side bolster wear, and a tear on the back vinyl of the drivers' seat. I had both those replaced this past summer. There was a small place on the rear drivers' side seat that looked dried out and discolored after some Meguirs cleaner/conditioner removed a black mark over top the place. I recently ordered some Z9/Z10 to use on the seats. The Zaino worked awesome and removed the shiny/slick look the seats had, and totally changed there color. The only bad thing is, after talking to Sal about this afterward, is that the dye on the seats was worn over the years (a 98 w/ 28k) and the use of a good product that really does a great job, caused the dye to come off somewhat. The results can be seen in the pictures below. Sal mentioned leatherique's dye, and said it couldn't hurt to try it. What do you all think? Below is a link to the product, and a few links to testimonials. I would have bought a custom leather interior at the start of all this, before I spent $130 on a repair, but I did not know this would happen. What do you all think?

http://www.leatherique.com/products.htm

http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/leather.htm
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/I...r/leather1.htm
http://www.mbcoupes.com/repairarticl...etreatment.htm

Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pics really don't show anything bad. Actually, they look quiet clean and in good shape. I guess this is something to be seen in person.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, that's about it! It just bothers me b/c I just had a bolster and rear vinyl panel repaired, and thought I had the leather perfect
Old 08-01-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BoneSS
Anyone else care to chime in?
Man I only hope my leather would look like that My car is a 98 with approx 50,000 miles and we have the same leather color and it looks nothing like yours. Mine is cracked up pretty badly because bolster wear on both sides. When it's going to be time I might just end up and replace both bolster pieces top and lower seat. But that stuff looks pretty good actually might just try that!

Last edited by Fishv12; 08-02-2004 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt think it could be any kind of leather conditioner it could be if you used any kind of cleaner/degreaser to remove the mark to begin with. The only time ive seen that happen is if you apply the leather lotion directly to the leather which you shouldnt do cause then itll leave like bleach blotches on it. They eventually dry out. I dont think you need to re-dye it unless you used something on it and noticed some of the leather coming off ( which does happen). But try going over it with some lexol and then the Z9 just make sure you apply it to a foam pad then applly. Also try cleaning it very thorough then let it dry and then do the leather lotion. good luck
Old 08-02-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

The place on the back seat was the place that had the black mark, and when Meguirs was used to remove it, some dye come off. I then used Z9/10, and the results above can be seen. When you get right up on it, like 6 inches away, you can tell some of the dye has came off. It is just wear I guess, not the Zaino (the stuff really did a great job doing what it is supposed to do). I will try what you are saying though to make sure b/c I really don't want to dye!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more time.

Quick Reply: Zaino, Leatherique Leather Dye, & Our Leather (Big Pics)