Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Under Hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Under Hood

Hey guys, I had a battery leak and it made quite a mess . . . I've got the motor completely out right now and would like to sand this area down and repaint. What are my options? Is there something I can get at the dealer to match? Under the hood it's flat . . . I just want to know the best way to handle this!

- Dug
Old 08-11-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
Hey guys, I had a battery leak and it made quite a mess . . . I've got the motor completely out right now and would like to sand this area down and repaint. What are my options? Is there something I can get at the dealer to match? Under the hood it's flat . . . I just want to know the best way to handle this!

- Dug
What's up man.. I'm dealing with the same thing. Battery spillage all over the passenger strut tower. I sanded the area a bit. Go to the dealer and order the spray paint that matches your paint code. That's what I'll be painting with whenever it gets here.

Good Luck..
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Venom . . . that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track

Is there a different paint code for underhood, or do I just give them the paint code on the door jam and they figure it out?

- Dug
Old 08-11-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
Thanks Venom . . . that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track

Is there a different paint code for underhood, or do I just give them the paint code on the door jam and they figure it out?

- Dug
The color is the same.. I think that the engine bay may be a bit duller. But not that big of a difference. I'm waxing and polishing everything in sight. You may want to spray a little clear to protect it a bit.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing and matched the paint up to the paint code. BIG DIFFERENCE!! The new paint is shiny, and the factory is dull. So this winter I will be trying to figure this one out.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe some Por 15 or something Dug, go to a local paint store like Space Age or something and tell them your story and they will know what to do Or just paint it whatever color is the closest in a flate Red
Old 08-12-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

POR15 isn't pretty if left exposed to UV. Make sure you topcoat it.

Quick Reply: Painting Under Hood