Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

new painted hood, SCRATCHED!!!help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new painted hood, SCRATCHED!!!help

damnit i have someof the worst luck when it comes to storms. Ok, I have no place to put my car in a garage ...but i installed a brand new double vision hood and had it painted black, paint was finished on monday ....i get everything on, the hood and new fender weren't lining up as well as i liked but i had been working on various things since 1 pm this afternoon so around 9 i just decided to call it quits. the hood would shut, just not lined up well enough to consider it a job well done..but enough to get through the night...

i usually park on the side of the road infront of my house..(subdivision, no biggie there), but there is a tree and with it being kinda breezey i thought id actually put it inthe drive way for a change, so i moved a car and put the z in the drive way...

I just walked outside looking over the hood, admiring it (ive never done any kind of body work so i was suprised it was coming along what i would consider well), and i noticed right smack dab in the middle of the hood...i scracth about an inch long, and part of it was all the way down tot eh fiberglass...like ic an't just buff this out... it wasn't there when i wa sinstalling it cause i was keeping tabs, and i have my dad helping me. i looked around, found some small branches laying aroudn the area but nothing i think that could scratch the hood like this...another possiblity would be my neighbors cat...but he usually doesnt get on my car...

at any rate, reguardless of what casued this...i can't afford to get the thing repainted, is there anyway i can fix this without it looking stupid? its on the cowl on the drivers side. if i use touch up paint...with the hood being freshly painted can i buff down where the touch up paint is after? i just really dont want to mess it up further!!!

any suggestions?

Thanks guys
Travis
Old 08-15-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

A few things that have worked for me over the years.

3M blue making tape.
http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/shopp...sh+chip+repair
Dupli-Color touch-up paint, base and clear.
Spray bottle of water with a few drops of car soap.

1. Run the blue tape about a 1/16" from the edge of the scratch on both sides.

2. Using the black Dupli-Color touch-up paint put a very thin coat onto the scratch, remove tape.

3. After you have let the paint dry for an hour or two run the blue masking tape about 1/16" from were the edge of the touch-up paint is, take your clear Dupli-Color paint and put a thin coat over the black touch-up paint and then remove the tape. Let dry an hour or two and repeat leaving a 1/16" from the edge of the clear touch-up paint.

4. Let the paint dry overnight and then use the round fingertip sanding spool and a 1500 grit sanding disk, using a spray bottle with water and a few drops of car soap in it sand the repaired area smooth. Before sanding I would run some masking tape along the edge of the repaired area, that way while you're sanding you will only be sanding the repaired area. P.S. don't over do the sanding.

5. Use the Finesse-it finishing compound to bring out the shine.

If I haven't explained it well enough PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet. I basically know how to touch up nicks (i build guitars) but the paint i use for guitars is slightly different, if something chips, i can sand down the hole thing in about 2 hours and start fresh again. This one...i wanna make sure i do it right.

But i think i may have fallen across some luck. The paint job is gaurenteed and after i washed off some of the spots my dirty hands touched it, i noticed some dimples in the paint. bad for a week or two, but i gotta call the guy and see if he can repaint it cause im not happy with it at all...

U think i should just put some duplicolor touch up paint (color and clear) to seal that little nick in the paint? the small scratch aroudn it came out i used al ittle bit of zaino polish just in that area and it worked perfectly fine.

If i can't get it repainted im going to try what you said. thanks for the linky too!!
Travis
Old 08-15-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slik98z
U think i should just put some duplicolor touch up paint (color and clear) to seal that little nick in the paint?
I would, if you need any help let me know.