Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing 16" TA 5 spoke wheels. Whats needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Polishing 16" TA 5 spoke wheels. Whats needed?

I've recently acquired a NICE set of painted 16" twisted 5 spoke 99 TA wheels, and decided since the paint was horrible to say the least on my stock 5 spoke wheels that I would polish them and use the 99 TA wheels for autox use. I have already stripped the paint off the front of the wheels, what should I use to go about sanding/smoothing the surface to get them to a mirror like shine? Also what should I coat them with when done to protect the shine?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you aren't going to try and do this by hand. It'll take a while.

Start with coarse paper (~800 or coarser) and work your way up to something fine (~3000 or finer) and finish it up by polishing with rouge and tripoli. When they are to your liking, you can wax/seal them.

Maybe someone else can help more.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well with the paint gone, the metal needs to be smoothed before going with even 400 grit paper, its not smooth with the paint gone. I was planning on using a drill with different sanding bits, then using the fine paper by hand, then finishing off by polishing with the drill and some polishing bits again, then sealing with something along the lines of Zoop seal or similar. My question is what type of sanding and polishing bits should I use for this task and what type of sealer should I use for the wheels when finished, or would clear powder coating be the only logical long term/low maintenance option to seal the polished finish?

Quick Reply: Polishing 16" TA 5 spoke wheels. Whats needed?