Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Want to wax my car

Old 09-05-2004, 12:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to wax my car

Never did it b4...dont kno what to get...was looking at this Meguires wax....it was like actual wax...not a spray or anything just a lil like container....

i also wopuld like NuFinish 1nce a year polish but dont nkno how to apply either and if its ok to use both? or would uit ebbetter for jsut one?

what do i need what works best....how do i apply eithr step by step?

would Zaino be better to buy?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMO, I have been using Meguiars NXT and it's nice stuff. My car is black, so that's a good test. It's simple and doesn't take up a whole afternoon claying and buffing and getting drunk.(well, maybe the getting drunk is ok) Apply to the whole car (in the shade or garage) then use the micro towels to take off. The only downfall to the NXT is it doesn't seem to last long.I usually do it once a month. They also make a quik detailer whick is more like spray wax. Nice for in betwwen. Like I said, IMO. Good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails Want to wax my car-p6120029a.jpg  
Old 09-05-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NXT is a pretty good over the counter product but yeah, you might want to reapply every so often.

www.autopia.org

do some searching. www.properautocare.com

are you looking to save money ?? order from the net ?? Wolfgang has some good sealant
Old 09-05-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think u should do one coat of Meguire's ColoRx then one coat of Meguires NXT wax...you'll be pretty damn impressed with the results, especially on your color of car.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

NXT is nice simple, easy to use wax.. i use it for quick jobs like on my parents trucks and other rides except for the car. But on my black car i only use zaino now.. Im just happy with its results and its no point for me to switch to anything else..

you wont be unhappy with NXT though.. I keep NXT and zaino with me at all times LMAO.. both are a nice combo
Old 09-05-2004, 05:59 PM
PR Director

I have been using Zaino now for a couple of years and I am happy with it. Love the durability of it. Its expensive but well worth in IMO.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

how should i prep it?...what steps should i take form step one Rinse, 2 soap 3 scrub, 4 rinse
Old 09-05-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

u just gotta make sure ure surface is clean of contaminant, and cool to the touch.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

is there any best way or process?....certain type of wash...how to apply waxes....to use or not to use a clay bar, wet sanding

how would the Meguires ColorX and Meguires NXT come along? how would i apply each and when would i apply them...

Is meguires NXT the Tech Wax?...comes as a bottle wiht the lil foam pad...in some lil box thing at pep booys or autozone?
Old 09-06-2004, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

anybody itll be greatyl appreciated....i really needto kno i am sick of this dust sitting on the car haha...and i just want nothing to touch it and stick...just slip right off...be protected form spotting ...and leave the amazing depth and shine form the paint
Old 09-06-2004, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

If uve never waxed ure car, I would use a good detergent wash like...you guessed it: Meguires NXT Car Wash (im a HUGE fan of Meguires especially the NXT series of products...heres my next tip: use the NXT Protectant for ure vynyl interior ), make sure u dry it completely (use "The Absorber" towel, the thing is freakin amazing!).

Now apply the ColoRx...you can do the entire car at once..use a clean terry towel to wipe off the polish once its dried to a haze. Take it out into the sun real quick, inspect the entire vehicle, make sure you got all the polish off...you might also be taken aback with how deep and rich the color is now (really, the stuff makes your paint look sooooooo awesome).

Now apply the NXT Tech Wax. The stuff is super easy on, dries up quickly and comes off ridiculously easy. Leaves your car very wet looking.

I would say the only reason to use a clay bar or go further is if you have some serious problem spots on ure car (ie..tar, bird crap, etc). I wouldnt advise going any further than the polish and wax if your only worried about making your dirty car look beautiful again.

If you have trouble spots, you may want to clay it. If you have swirlies you may want to use Meguires ScratchX. If you have oxidation you may want to use some rubbing compound (be careful, I NEARLY fucked up my car with this, luckily Meguires ScratchX, ColorX and NXT Wax saved my finish).

Ive never used Zaino, and while Im sure its a great product, the meguires stuff has never let me down and has given me no reason to switch to anything else. THis is the Meguire's products I currently use:

1. Meguire's Cleaner Wax
2. Meguire's NXT Tech Wax (easiest wax, awesome finish)
3. Meguire's NXT Booster Wax (this stuff is actualy more work than the normal wax, but its still good stuff)
4. Meguire's Hot Shine Tire Spray (the ajustable spray makes spraying my lo-pro tires easy and clean!)
5. Meguire's Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
6. Meguire's NXT Car Wash (pretty intense wash, I only use it once a month since it will clean everything, including the wax)
7. Meguire's NXT Tech Protectant (the stuff smells great and leaves an awesome shine)
8. Meguire's ScratchX (works damn well on swirl marks)
9. Meguire's ColorX (man, this stuff brings your paint back to life, this stuff saved my finish from the rubbing compound disaster a few weeks ago)

Other than that, I usually use Mr Clean's Auto Dry wash system for my weekly washes (the wash isnt harsh at all, so it will leave the wax on your car), and also use Armor All's Wheel Cleaner, Tire Foam, and Auto Glass Cleaner (works fine, but will probably switch to the Meguire's equivalent when they run out).
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

so the best waywould be to

-Do a thorough wash smoothe and cool to touch
-i have small fairly un-noticeable swirls...so i think that ColorX would do it?
does it apply jsut like other wax's?
-Let dry to a haze then wipe of with a terry cloth? (haze means dried up or liek white/caking upa lil correct?)
-Check for any missed spots
-Apply Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax right away or give it some time?
(how muhc of each would i use?)
-Dry to a haze(?) and wipe with terry cloth

that should do it correct? would it be best to do the Booster spray or it doesnt matter?

so far that means i have 2 coats of wax? would it work best to apply another coat of either wax or jsut one of each will do jussssssssst fine?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Here you go, this can answer almost any of your questions:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=28

www.bettercarcare.com
Old 09-07-2004, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Guys big question....i am using meguiars Scratch X and NuFinish Polish on my moms car...whihc goes first????
Old 09-07-2004, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

nevermind i realized that ScratchX is going on first...just finished...lol h er cars so shot to ****....spider cracks in her 2000 Sunfire (the dark green one(olive green?)) looks good...ustill your relaly close missing paint and everything...so the scratch X didt quite work out on it so yeah it looks great the NuFinish does wokr nice
Old 09-07-2004, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

would ColorX and Tech Wax take care of little TEENY TINY swirls that everyone complains about on there Blacks....its not that noticeable to me...so i really dont quite know what any1s talking about i have an idea but am never positive...if some1 can get a pic of it thatd be great
Old 09-08-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it should, but do not be looking for it to create miracles. did you clay the paint ??

that would be the best 1st step after washing
Old 09-11-2004, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

anybody have pics of these Notorious Swirls?...i have Meguiars Scratch X Meguiars ColorX and Meguiars Tech Wax

im debating if i needa use scratchX for my car...so can some1 send me a pic of how bad theyd haveta be to need it?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
im debating if i needa use scratchX for my car...so can some1 send me a pic of how bad theyd haveta be to need it?
bad enough to the point where they bother YOU!

if its as you say, that they are barely noticeable to you, i think ColorX and NXT wax is good enough.

Just wash your car, clay it, polish it (colorx) and seal it (NXT Tech Wax). I think you'll be more than happy with the results.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Zaino is the ****...
Attached Thumbnails Want to wax my car-p8060272-small.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to wax my car