Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how often are you sopposed to clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often are you sopposed to clay bar?

hey, i spent yesterday(the full day on my car) good cleaning, then clay bared, and a coat of colorX, ran out of time to do the nxt, ill do it today hopefully. anyway, that was the first time i have ever clay bared and dam it came out nice! it took me forever though! i hope clay baring is like a once a year thing. how often am i sopposed to clay bar? thanks!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually do it right before the winter and right after the winter. I depends on how much your car is exposed to the elements, ie: rain, snow, salt, sand...

If you are in a warm climate where you get no snow, than I would say once a year is good. It also depends on how dirty you allow your car to get?? If you constantly stay on top of your paint with frequent cleaning and waxing, then you really don't have to clay your car at all after the first time.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

i just got the car, it was stored for the winter and was maintained very well over the years. i intend to do the same; i cant store it but im hopeing to be able to keep it covered for most of winter. i live on long island, so the winters get messy here sometimes. SALT IS MY WORST ENEMY!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Launching!

i supose this'll sound stupid but, what is "clay-barring"?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Fiery Features Director

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
i supose this'll sound stupid but, what is "clay-barring"?
Claybar removes tree sap, bugs, brake dust and other things that are difficult to remove with soap and water. After cleaning an area with this bar of clay, your paint will feel really smooth and it doesn't scratch your vehicle. It also helps prevent paint damage from pollution and other chemicals in the air. It is very easy to use, but takes time. Clay barring is usually done once a year, unless you have certain areas that need it more often.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I clay bar the car about every 5 months or so. I like keeping it in tip top shape.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Launching!

thanx Zangel, so where would i find it?
Old 09-12-2004, 04:47 PM
PR Director

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
thanx Zangel, so where would i find it?
You can order it online from Zainobros.com or you local Autozone should have some Mothers clay bar. As far as how often to clay bar it totally depends on the individual. I try to do mine twice a year the minimum.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

cool, I had the same question on clay barring I'm going to try this out when I have time
Old 09-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Claying will remove surface contaminates that don't get removed by just washing. Overspray, rail dust, brake dust, etc. Good tip is to clay the car every 6-12 months. It really depends on the area you live.

A good test to see how bad your surface is, take a plastic bag, or even the plastic wrap from a pack of cigarettes if you have one. Put your fingers in it and feel your paint through the bag. You WILL be shocked the first time you do this. Clay will remove those contaminants that you can't really see. Take your time and it will work wonders. You may only need to do the horizontal surfaces of the car, but it may be wise to do the vertical surfaces as well, if you feel and buildup on them.

You can get the Mother's clay bar kit at most auto shops (Auto Zone, Advance, etc.). You can also order the Meguiars kit (they have two different ones now, at least) or any other manufacturer. Check here for some info about claying.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clay barred my Z this weekend using the Mother's Kit...after polishing and waxing, car came out beautiful.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Teching In

The whole car gets done twice a year. The rear bumper gets hit every few months due to the crap coming off the rotors. Being white it shows up quick.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

would you guys recommend clay barring before buffing or polishing? or would that just be a waste of time?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Clay gets things that buffing and polishing can't get. You don't need to to it every time you buff and polish, but once/twice a year is good.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just picked one up form pep boys last nite, yes pep boys, but its a mothers clay bar, so yea....when i get some time ill do it...i do it about 2 times a yr
Old 09-18-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

btw, its like $16.99
Old 09-18-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

The mother's clayin system is pretty good. I liked it alot.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
Clay gets things that buffing and polishing can't get. You don't need to to it every time you buff and polish, but once/twice a year is good.
Sorry, I was referring to machine buffing or polishing... would I wind up grinding the contaminants into the paint if I didn't clay bar first?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zangel
Claybar removes tree sap, bugs, brake dust and other things that are difficult to remove with soap and water.
i have some sorta tree sap like goo i just cant seem to get out.. so "clay barring" will even take out that!? dam i need to try it..
Old 09-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Default I need help removing dried tree sap!!

I have a black `02 TA, i parked under a pine tree and got a lot of sap on my hood, i removed some by just washing it and using a razor on the windshield, but i am having problems removing it from the hood, it is really dried on there, i have tried sap and bug etc. remover, ive tried regular soap and water, tried power hosing it, and i just tried a clay bar which didn't do a thing for me(unless i am totally using it wrong). Please tell me how to get this crap off. Its been on there for a good 3 weeks now. thanks.

Quick Reply: how often are you sopposed to clay bar?