Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone Moved Their Seat Backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Moved Their Seat Backwards?

Looking for about 2 more inches of leg room. Anyone done this with stock seats. Aftermarket seats are 100% not an option.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible, but you'd obviously need to have a different slider rack fabricated, due to the contour of the floor.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Negative. I'm working on it now and my friend has done it. I'll get pictures soon in the next few weeks. All you need is some 1" x 1/4" aluminum bar, some angled brackets, and some nuts and bolts. All you do is basically extend the mounting points back a few inches and make the seat a six-point mount instead of a four point mount like the factory. I didnt know anyone else was interested in this but I'll take pictures while I'm doing it and post it when I'm done.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by josh99ta
Negative. I'm working on it now and my friend has done it. I'll get pictures soon in the next few weeks. All you need is some 1" x 1/4" aluminum bar, some angled brackets, and some nuts and bolts. All you do is basically extend the mounting points back a few inches and make the seat a six-point mount instead of a four point mount like the factory. I didnt know anyone else was interested in this but I'll take pictures while I'm doing it and post it when I'm done.
Thank you so much!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't sacrifice safety for comfort, though. That's highly important. I'd really like to see what you've come up with, Josh.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

i def. want in on some pics too, really interested in this, im almost 6'4" with some long legs, so i could use the extra room...lol
Old 12-14-2004, 05:07 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I'd like to see what you've done also.....6"1' and all legs here. I know there are guys one here that are way taller than me and still squeezing in.....
Old 12-16-2004, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Not to hijack this thread but I have a related question. Is it possible to modify the seats somehow so that they can be brought up farther from the reclined position? I keep my seatback as tilted far forward ("unreclined" if that is a word) - but it still feels like I'm leaning back too far while driving. By the way my car has the 6-way power seats with the inflatable air bladders for lumbar and thigh support.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Launching!

I'm 6'5" and am quite cumfy in my 99Z, just have to angle the seat up a bit and move it all the way back.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by anonymous pedestrian in Deuce Bigalow
That's a huge bitch!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pailheadz28
I'm 6'5" and am quite cumfy in my 99Z, just have to angle the seat up a bit and move it all the way back.
Well, I'm 6'4" and I'm not, but thanks for sharing and contributing to my thread....
Old 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Well I was worried about safety myself, and it most likely wont be AS strong as stock, but it'll be pretty darn close. As I understand it, it goes from a stock four point mount to a six point mount which makes it pretty strong despite basically extending the slide rails for the seat. Total cost is around $30-40 for materials as well, so it's not an expensive modification by any means. When I get some pictures from my buddy and do it myself, I'll do a write up with pictures, links to where the supplies can be purchased at, and all the good stuff.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

I modified the passenger seat on my SS for the opposite reason. My wife is 5'1" and she wanted the seat higher so her legs weren't resting on the floor hump, and she wanted to be further away from the air bag. I raised the seat about 1 1/2" and relocated it about 2 1/2" back. Modifying the seat mounting was a safety concern. I don't remember the actual grades of the material used, but it was the highest strength I could find. I machined 4 aluminum blocks (one for each mounting stud) about 4" long out of 2" X 1 1/2" bar stock. I drilled & counterbored 2 opposing holes in each block, one from the bottom of the block (the new seat location) and one from the top (for the stock mounting studs). I bolted the blocks to the floor (slitting the carpet so the blocks rested on the metal floorboard) using the stock seat hardware, and then used high strength nuts, bolts and washers to bolt the seat rails to the blocks. The blocks were painted to match the carpet and I bought additional OEM plastic caps to cover the hardware.

Quick Reply: Anyone Moved Their Seat Backwards?