Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

T-tops to Hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-top/ Hard top

I have a 2000 Z28 T-top and I´m getting a little tired of the T-top. Has anyone converted að T-top to a hard top or can give me a link to where I can get info or parts.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

What don't you like about the T-Tops. If its the sun or the feel, just put in the t-top shades that came with the car. Feels more like a hardtop that way.
Ed
Old 12-15-2004, 08:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah what BlackFormula01 said I wish I had T-Tops.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Well this is my second F-body w/T-top and it is just to problematic and they almost allways leak.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

I think if you tried to convert it into a hard top you might have the same problems if it is not done right,
Old 12-15-2004, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Well that is true about just about every thing.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've never heard of anyone doing that ... I don't think most t-tops leak. A better approach would be to try to fix the leak. Have done a search on it? As for having t-tops, my 94 didn't and this one does. When the weather's right, they're awesome.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A better approach would be to try to fix the leak. When the weather's right, they're awesome.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
When the weather's right, they're awesome.
I love them! The glass lets a little too much Texas sun into the interior compartment so what I did was have some kids in Mexico put some dark 3M window film put on the glass panels for 10 bucks if I remember correctly. Now I have very little use for the shades. A good set of SFCs helps a great deal too if you ask me.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

and a roll cage
Old 12-15-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OliGeorgs
Well this is my second F-body w/T-top and it is just to problematic and they almost allways leak.

SOmetimes the t-tops pinch the seals & that causes them to leak or they are just drying out you need to aply something like vasoline on them To keep them moist & to prevent them from drying out. WHen you do them make sure its a dry day or in your garage & make sure the weather stripping is dry apply lubacation then set t-tops on & make sure they are in tight. Then dont drive the car in wet weather for 24 hours.

Oh I have 4 t-tops camaros (all 4 I currently own) & only 2 have leakage problems one was just fixed the other is the rear hatch that is leaking & needs to be reaplaced.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 777
and a roll cage
Don't try to tell us that a hardtop car has more structural integerity than a T-top car, because it does not. Pull down a headliner on a hardtop car some time and have a look for yourself.... WJ
Old 12-15-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Don't try to tell us that a hardtop car has more structural integerity than a T-top car, because it does not. Pull down a headliner on a hardtop car some time and have a look for yourself.... WJ
Hey someone who must of talked to Scott Settlemire about that lol.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

..t-tops rock.but i forget about them alot..

ive had my car a year and i think ive had them off 3 times .
Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Or you can have some freak accident like your hood flying off and breaking one of your t-tops in the process and scurrying like crazy to find one so you can drive your car again and can't find one for cheaper than 225 used or having to pay 400 for a brand new one then having to worry about switching the keys on it so you can take them off on a nice sunny day. DAMNIT!!!! WHY ME?!?!?!??! By the way, anyone know if that can be done?? Just somehow open up and switching the key lock from my old smashed one to the one I replace it with?? Off topic here ddelallata I'm from Pharr, we're neighbors. And our cars are similar. Know anyone that has a passenger side T-Top lying around?? I need one.

Last edited by TheHauntedZ28; 12-15-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL third gens are like $50 a pair. We havent had a problem with forth gens yet.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

cowgirl: It's a long way to Wa. from here in Ma.....Just shipped a Predator out to a guy in Spokane.... 10 degrees above zero here tonite... WJ
Old 12-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

You may have to replace the gaskets....depending on where the water enters. One other thing...have you ever replaced your windshield? If so, the water MAY be coming in thru the top of the windshield header....and appearing to come from the T-top. When the windshield is replaced, ALL the sealant MUST be removed..and some shops don't take the time to do it correctly...the windshield, therefore will not seal...and airflow at highway speeds will cause the water to enter ......just a thought.

And you are correct...all non-t-top cars have the cutouts for T-top...simply has a composite roof panel attached........
Old 12-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHauntedZ28
Or you can have some freak accident like your hood flying off and breaking one of your t-tops in the process and scurrying like crazy to find one so you can drive your car again and can't find one for cheaper than 225 used or having to pay 400 for a brand new one then having to worry about switching the keys on it so you can take them off on a nice sunny day. DAMNIT!!!! WHY ME?!?!?!??! By the way, anyone know if that can be done?? Just somehow open up and switching the key lock from my old smashed one to the one I replace it with?? Off topic here ddelallata I'm from Pharr, we're neighbors. And our cars are similar. Know anyone that has a passenger side T-Top lying around?? I need one.
I had a t-top fly off on the freeway - and I still love 'em. (It WAS properly latched, just not locked). I just lock 'em now, where I didn't before. Changing the lock is a snap. Do a search on ebay - that's where I found mine - cheap.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I've done some research because I'm considering having my hardtop converted to T-top or Targa. It's not cheap. Only thing is, people keep telling me to keep my hardtop because it's rare (someone said there were a total of 4 made, but who knows.)

If you're serious about the switch, the best way to do it would be to buy the roof off of a hardtop car and have a body shop separate the old one and re-weld, then re-paint. Switching from T-top to hardtop would probably be a good bit cheaper than the other way around.

Quick Reply: T-tops to Hardtop?