Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pre-Waxing Rituals

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Waxing Rituals

Ok I am about to attempt to wax my car tomorrow and I have heard you need to wash with Dawn first to remove the previous wax, dirt, etc. Is there anything else you can use that will do the same? How bout just washing it by hand at the local carwash or using Joy soap instead? I don't really want to go out and buy a bottle of Dawn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleBef15
Ok I am about to attempt to wax my car tomorrow and I have heard you need to wash with Dawn first to remove the previous wax, dirt, etc. Is there anything else you can use that will do the same? How bout just washing it by hand at the local carwash or using Joy soap instead? I don't really want to go out and buy a bottle of Dawn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
NEVER use dish washing detergent on your car,use a brand name "CAR WASH" like Mcguires(sp?) or such.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use Dawn. Here's what I do and what I'd recommend to anyone needing to strip their car of wax:

1. Wash your car like you normally would
2. Clay your car, using new washing soap for a lubricant (as in refill your bucket with new soap and suds)
3. Rinse the car off, and if you feel the need, wash it again like in step 1
4. Dry it
5. If you need an absolutely grease/wax/oil free surface, use Prepsol or Acryli-clean (available at automotive paint supply stores). If you can't find either of these, use a 50/50 water/rubbing alcohol mix.
6. Compound your car if you want
7. Apply your favorite wax/sealant

?s Let me know....
Old 12-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Well, I've never really WAXED my car...only used Meguiar's Cleaner wax twice but a couple of months ago. I am looking to apply NXT but I really want to get it done before cold weather again and don't want to get a claybar quite yet because I am broke. Can I just use my Blue Corral Wash and Wax stuff and hand wash it outside, dry, then apply my wax?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, I've never really WAXED my car...only used Meguiar's Cleaner wax twice but a couple of months ago. I am looking to apply NXT but I really want to get it done before cold weather again and don't want to get a claybar quite yet because I am broke. Can I just use my Blue Corral Wash and Wax stuff and hand wash it outside, dry, then apply my wax?
1. How old is the car?
2. Has it ever been clayed?
3. What kinda results are you going for?

Yes, you can do what you are suggesting, but it is certainly not optimal, and I wouldn't expect the best of results. If you car is old and/or sits outside a lot and/or it has never really been cleaned, a good claying will do wonders to help make your finish smooth.

Also, with the NXT, there have been a few durability issues. I wouldn't expect it to protect well for more than 1-2 months, especially with how you are suggesting to apply it.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Well, since it is winter and yes I use it as a daily and sits outside 24/7 (I'm a freshman in college), I am not going to get the best results. It is a 1999 NBM TA Firehawk. It has really good paint, with only a couple of somewhat major scratches...other than that are swirl marks. I didn't really expect this to last a while, especially since it might snow next week but since it is nice for the next couple of days, just thought I would try it out? I don't know if it has been claybarred before, but the last owner only drove it 900 miles in 6 months and it was always in a garage. I don't have that luxury yet so I guess I am not looking for great great results, but to maybe take away some swirls and give it a shine for a while. When I get a job and some money, I plan on getting the ColorX and a claybar...maybe for Spring too.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've been in your shoes, and I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm done with college and still don't have a garage, but I have lots more time on my hands than I did then.

NXT won't take out any of your swirls, but it will give you some protection. I suppose it is better than nothing, so go for it.

If you are having a hard time washing it (as in don't have a hose and don't want to go to a wand wash or something), go to autopia.org and do a search for Quick and Easy Wash (aka QEW). It is perfect for a situation like yours to keep your car clean with limited resources.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

cleaner wax takes off old waxes so that you can apply a new wax. that's all it does.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yeah, I forgot to mention one thing...if you get some money (hell, hit up your parents if you can play that card), get Klasse All-in-One (you'll have to order it). That will give you good results, and is very easy to use. It is one of the better cleaner waxes out there.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Chop-Foo Director

NXT will fill in minor swirls. That being said, is this the right way to do it? No. You should really try to get rid of the swirls, but since you are on a budget right now, that's not going to happen yet.

NXT, applied properly, allowed to set 12-24 hours, and then another coat applied, has no durability issues. I've had 2 coats on my car for 3-4 months now, and it's still protected beautifully. Don't allow those who haven't tried NXT talk you out of NXT. I think you will be happy with the results you get from it.

As to what you should do now, clean your car with the blue corral you got, throw on a couple coats of NXT (waiting 12-24 hours in between), and you will be fine. When you get the funds, get the ColorX, you will be happy with what it can do for your car as well.

Everyone will try to steer you to the products that they like (I'm no different), but the thing is, you need to find what works for YOU, what makes YOU happy, and stick with it.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

PendragonZ - With the conditions he will be applying this in (outside 24/7), I would seriously doubt the NXT will have a chance to "set up" as you described. There are other good products out there that don't require waiting 12-24 hours just so you can apply another coat, just so it can last a while.

That being said, since he is strapped for cash, and already has the NXT, he might as well use it. I just don't think it will be used under ideal enough conditions to last much longer than 1-2 months. Just my $.02
Old 12-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Chop-Foo Director

My car is outside 24/7 as well, and NXT has lasted 3-4 months with no problems. Just wax it when there is no rain for 12-24 hours, and it will set up.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
My car is outside 24/7 as well, and NXT has lasted 3-4 months with no problems. Just wax it when there is no rain for 12-24 hours, and it will set up.
Guess I'll just have to retract my statement then. Car detailing is kinda like picking an exhaust...everyone has their own ideas of what is good and what isn't, and it is hard to get them to see anything else.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Yes, on that exhaust statement, I think it is all personal opinion. Well, that's good that it takes 12-24 hours because tomorrow should be just as nice as today. Thanks for all your help guys I really do appreciate it!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Get out there and make it look pretty. It is my #1 goal in life to make everyone feel bad about driving a dirty car.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Launching!

It depends on your time, money, and effort. I use this process:

Wash with 4 Star Car Wash
Clay with Meguiars
Klasse All-In-One
4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection
Allow to cure for 24 hours
Another coat of 4 Star Ultimate Paint Protection
Allow to cure for 24 hours
Then a coat of Concours Wax by Victoria Wax

Takes a hell of a long time and eveything has to be ordered through the internet. If you are looking for good results with minimal money and time, I would suggest

Wash with Auto Wash
Clay Bar by Meguairs
Color X by Meguairs
NXT by Meguairs

I have seen great results with that process and it can all be done in one day. The next day you can quick detail it and apply another coat of NXT if you want.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Well, I applied my first coat today and it looks pretty damn good. I love my car. Who needs anything else is life besides money and a nice car, and then MAYBE a woman on the side?
Old 12-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Well, I applied my first coat today and it looks pretty damn good. I love my car. Who needs anything else is life besides money and a nice car, and then MAYBE a woman on the side?
You sound like you are on the right track.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love my car, my wife is damn lucky my car can't cook...but then again she can't either so wtf...

Quick Reply: Pre-Waxing Rituals