Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Paintless Dent Removal...stupid cheap GM body panels...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintless Dent Removal...stupid cheap GM body panels...

I look down at my darn hood today, and there is a dent....oh about four fingers across, right where my hand touches the hood to close it. It's more of a wave than anything. Now come on...all I do is close it. Could they make this metal any thinner? Anyways, has anybody seen this before?

http://www.dentout.net/specials.htm

I was thinking about trying it out.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I had a dent in a 2001 truck I had. They charged me 75.00 to take it out at a paintless dent place.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I had that done on a fender on my 98 (V6) Mustang (don't laugh). I would like to fix this one myself though. I don't think that there is any way to get behind this dent. Unless they drill. I am pretty sure I could do that myself...but if that thing was any good...it would be handy to have laying around.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work at a PDR shop and I've seen first hand the type of work those devices cause. They either create a high spot, 2-3 extra dents (from the legs of the device), or both. We get tools into the most odd places. You should definitely have it looked at, at least.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a reputable dent removal shop. I had 2 taken out of my black z and 1 out of my wifes car and all I can say is that it has worked great for me. I would suggest it to anyone over bodywork for small dent.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a skill to doing PDR, If you have no bodywork/metal working experience dont try it, chances are high that you will screw it up.

body/paint labor and materials arent cheap, Du pont has had three price increases this year alone. Then you are lucky the tech working on your vehicle takes pride in his work, "most of them do not".

Just my .02
Old 01-01-2005, 03:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

For us to do 3 quarter sized dents, it's under $140. It will retain your current paint (no worries about overspray, dirt, etc.) and in most cases, you'll never know it was there. Go to the nicest body shop in your area and find out who they sub their hail work to. Go from there.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
There is a skill to doing PDR, If you have no bodywork/metal working experience dont try it, chances are high that you will screw it up.

body/paint labor and materials arent cheap, Du pont has had three price increases this year alone. Then you are lucky the tech working on your vehicle takes pride in his work, "most of them do not".

Just my .02
I can usually do pretty nifty things with my hands...I would think I could tackle this with the glue dent-remover...if it doesn't leave extra dents...
Old 01-01-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've worked for this PDR company for about 6 months doing computer work for them. I've watched them and taken advice and I STILL screw up dents when I try to pull/push them. It is definitely a skill that needs time to develop.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Another_User
I can usually do pretty nifty things with my hands...I would think I could tackle this with the glue dent-remover...if it doesn't leave extra dents...
if you are so set on doing it why did you ask?? these people are giving you advice to steer away from it.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I've been doing paintless dent removal for over 9 years and I can assure you it is harder than it looks. You should definitely have a professional do it. The chances of you messing it up beyond repair (pdr) are far greater than you fixing it to a satisfactory level to you. There shouldn't be a problem finding a good dent tech. Just make sure he's been doing it a while. You dont want a dent guy w/only a few months of practice working on your baby. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought the hoods are plastic ?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock hoods are metal. Most aftermarket for f-cars are not.

Quick Reply: Paintless Dent Removal...stupid cheap GM body panels...