Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need pillar opinions from the pros.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need pillar opinions from the pros.....

I'm looking into getting either the double or triple pillar gauge because I think they look sweet. My only problem is that I don't know what gauges to put in them. My car has just the basic mods...borla catback, springs, K&N, red top battery, rims..... nothing to special as you can see. What gauges should I put in??
Old 01-05-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

A/F gauge and maybe a trans temp. They will be useless with your mods but it will give you the look you want.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trans temp is a good one to have, my stock trans cooler was plugged and I didnt even know I was running hot till I got my gage installed. A/F looks cool but will be useless to you as you are on a stock tune.

How about a clock? JK!!!

I remember when my car was a stocker, enjoy it while you can!!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're an auto, trans temp and water temp.

I have a/f, water, and oil temp. The a/f gives everyone a good light show.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've got trans. temp and manifold vacuum. I chose the trans. temp gauge obviously because i've got a loose as hell converter and i drive a little aggressively.

the vacuum gauge i chose because 1) it's really easy to install (once you find the appropriate vacuum source) 2) the gauge itself isn't expensive and 3) it's actually a good thing to have for diagnosing minor motor problems (like say a rough idle or something).

i probably wouldn't have paid for it at all but i had just the trans. temp gauge in a single pod for awhile and honestly, it just kinda looked dumb.

i personally would advise against the triple pod. my single pod was all the way at the bottom and when i replaced it for the dual i was surprised how close the top gauge was too my eyes while driving. i'd imagine a third gauge even higher might be a little annoying. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a triple gage and you are totaly right about it being up there. Its not annoying but it will kill you if your head ever hits it in a crash, I switched to 5pt harness so now I can get rid of my bags too. Triple looks sweet in my opinion especialy if you have a black interior and dont have to paint it. It is a PITA if you have to take it off though due to the little christmas tree fastners that they use so make sure all the wires are tight the first time!!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by libertine1015
I have a triple gage and you are totaly right about it being up there. Its not annoying but it will kill you if your head ever hits it in a crash, I switched to 5pt harness so now I can get rid of my bags too. Triple looks sweet in my opinion especialy if you have a black interior and dont have to paint it. It is a PITA if you have to take it off though due to the little christmas tree fastners that they use so make sure all the wires are tight the first time!!
yea i agree...i just didn't use the brackets on the back of the gauges to hold them in. they stick in there nice and tight just on friction alone and you can pull them out without pulling out the pillar if you have a malfunction.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put two Phantom Series A/F ration meters on mine. I have a left over 2 1/16 '' clock if anyone wants it.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddelallata
I put two Phantom Series A/F ration meters on mine. I have a left over 2 1/16 '' clock if anyone wants it.
my friend did that too....one for each bank. good thinking. those things are actually worth something if you can see a difference between the two cylinder banks.

out of curiosity which series of gauges is everyone using??? i've got the Pro-Comp Ultra Lites (silver bezel, silver face, white lighting).
Old 01-05-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Ultra lites too. I really like them but I use red lighting. I run Fuel Pressure, Boost and Trans temp. In the spring I might put an EGT in one of my vents (T/A)
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the Ultra lites too. I really like them but I use red lighting. I run Fuel Pressure, Boost and Trans temp. In the spring I might put an EGT in one of my vents (T/A)

yea those vents are convenient, wish i had one of those for a nitrous pressure gauge (not like i wanna be sneaky or anything... )
Old 01-05-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got any pics of your pod? Have you done other interior mods? I did some paint, seats harnesses, it turned out ok I guess. (sorry not trying to hijack)
Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got any pics of your pod? Have you done other interior mods? I did some paint, seats harnesses, it turned out ok I guess. (sorry not trying to hijack)

if you're talking to me, nope sorry no pics of the pod yet (i gotta get around to buying a digital camera ).

no other interior mods as of yet but a set of Corbeau TRS seats are gonna go in when i get the cash to put the rollbar in.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I have the triple pod, with autometer phantom trans temp, elec fuel pressure, and EGT, took out the bulbs that came with gauges, replaced with 194R red bulbs to match exactly to my dash lights. Also took off my stock pillar and had the triple pod painted to match exact, looks stock, get alot of compliments.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys !!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just recieved my triple pillar pod. All along I thought it was a replacement, now I see that it has to be mounted to the stock one, oh well. I've got a Cobalt fuel pressure and a Dynotune digital nitrous pressure gauge with blue display to install. Planning on picking up a Cobalt air/fuel to fill the empty spot until I get rich enough to get a wideband O2 to install, hehe. Also have a Cobalt tach on the dash to go along with them.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two types..there are th pillar replacements..actually rest over the pillar and then there are the pods..which need to be affixed to the existing pillar
Old 01-06-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what I can see, the pillar replacement still need to be affixed to the stock pillar. It will look better seeing it is all one piece and other than 6 little screws it will look like stock, but still a little disappointed that the full pillar isn't a direct replacement. You would think they could make it a direct replacement seeing they are 99% of the way there. All they have to do is make it a tad bit thinner, and then add the portion at the end that gets screwed in.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Compass and maybe altitude...... Just had to say that....WJ
Old 01-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Well WJ, I'm a broke college kid so I don't have the cash for the mods I dream about so I have to start at the bottom of the list....So unless you want to send me money for better mods back off !!!!
All donations to the "DZBIRD can't afford real mods organization" can be sent to ....
I accept all major credit cards, money orders, and cash !!!!!!

Quick Reply: Need pillar opinions from the pros.....