Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do I fix a small tear in the bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I fix a small tear in the bumper?

Me = 0
Snow Drift = 1

Dammit, the one day I HAVE to drive my Formula, we end up getting 6 inches of snow with a topping of freezing rain. Looks like the underside plastics took most of the damage, splitting the plastic air deflector and ripping the foglight access panel back up to the wheel well. However, there is a 3 inch rip in the front fascia. Whats the best way to fix that crack so it doesn't get any worse?
Old 01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's tough to get done right, but you have to get products designed for urethane.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS epoxy withe metal mesh. It heats itself when mixed just make sure the area your repairing is clean, and work quickly.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastic body panel repair is pretty specialized. I think they usually make a groove where the tear is, then they use a special plastic "welder" to seal the two panels together, and then finish and paint. You have to find the right shop, but it can be done. It was done to my front bumper (previous owner was stupid, and the dealership fixed it because the car was GM certified). I have never had any problems with it in the 4 years I have owned the car, and you could never tell it was done.

I had a friend awhile back whose uncle had a body shop. Supposedly they melted a condom and welded his plastic Monte Carlo bumper together. After it was painted you could never tell either. I have no idea what they melted it with. I should have asked...if you expose it to flame I would think a condom would just light up...

Quick Reply: How do I fix a small tear in the bumper?