Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Rotary buffer, need tips ??

Old 01-14-2005, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotary buffer, need tips ??

Okay there is alot great information on this board regarding the pros of the Porter Cable Buffer. I own one and agree it is a great tool. I also own a rotary buffer and for some jobs in my opinion you need to start with the rotary buffer.

I would like to here from some of the pro's on this board about tips, pads, compounds & polishes using the rotary buffer.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Okay there is alot great information on this board regarding the pros of the Porter Cable Buffer. I own one and agree it is a great tool. I also own a rotary buffer and for some jobs in my opinion you need to start with the rotary buffer.

I would like to here from some of the pro's on this board about tips, pads, compounds & polishes using the rotary buffer.
what kind of rotory do you own.

Tips~ make sure you know what your doing cause if not your SOL.

pads- i use lake country, meguiars, pads from cutting to polishing.

Compound~ i never really use compounds

Polish~ for every job theres different polishes. I mainly use menzerna, poorboys, 3m & some Meguiars. If your just starting take your time to learn your products cause if you over work the product you can swirl the surface. If you dont break down the polish right then you can not get the results your looking for.
I usually use the rotory whenever i have a job to do but theres other times when i dont need it. If theres anything you dont already know feel free to ask. BTW what types of polishes are you looking for?

Jay
Old 01-15-2005, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

I have a Makita 9227 Rotary buffer variable speed 600- 3000 RPM. Pads I have are Mequiars; Wool cutting pad, foam Red & yellow. I've studied a few video tapes and practiced on some junk yard hoods before I took the tool to a car.

Like I said I have Porter cable buffer and it's a great tool however sometimes it's not enough. A few weeks ago I was asked to help whip a 94 Vette back into shape. This was a black car from Florida, 10 years of heat and hard water spots and the Porter Cable was just not enough tool to get the job done. We clayed the car, then hit it with the Makita using a red foam pad and Mequiar's paint cleaner, then the twice with the Porter cable using the Menzenra twins and finally wax. It turned out great. I enjoy detailing and would like to learn more about combinations using the rotary buffer before the Porter Cable.

Jay I've studied alot of your posts and was glad to see you answered, please share your knowledge with a rookie.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

theres nothing really to it other than learning your products. Sometimes if im buffing out black ill use Hitemp paint levelers. Theyre chemical levelers so theres practically no dusting like with the menzerna IP. I still use the IP but on dark colored cars i use chemical cleaners. I dont use the red cutting pad even though i have one i very rarely use it. I get my pads from www.properautocare.com theyre the lakecountry 6" & 7.5 concave pads. A good pad to use it the meguiars yellow w/IP and that works great. You really never need a cutting pad unless your doing something very damaged i.e a 10 year old paint.
I did an 12 year old NSX and all i used was a megs yellow pad and IP and it came out great. becareful w/ that meguiars Compound power cleaner cause it looks like its removing the swirls then a week later it seemed to show a lot of holograms(in my case it did) Im not too big of a fan of diminishing abrasives. I like the HiTemps better and the menzerna. I probably only practiced maybe once or twice then started doing cars. Cause as long as you hold the buffer correctly and dont swirl the surface too bad you can remove any swirls you create w/ the rotory by PC.
Good luck and try posting some pics. If you want to see pics of that NSX take a look at my sig.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6']['9
Sometimes if im buffing out black ill use Hitemp paint levelers. Theyre chemical levelers so theres practically no dusting like with the menzerna IP. .
Tell me more about Hitemp paint levelers?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres the link theyre all chemical cleaners so dont let the names fool you. I.E. light, medium, heavy, extreme levelers. http://topoftheline.com/hitempproducts.html

If you send me a box of about 4 4oz bottles i can send you some samples but you have to pay shipping. Youll like these products.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

I'll take you up on that, E-mail your address sgoodwin@rss-inc.com.

When using the porter cable with Menzerrna I.P. & F.P. ll what pads do you like. On the subject of pads what I have are Mequiar red, yellow and buff. Sonus I have grey & orange. However I'm not shy about ordering more just want the best. What are the benefits to convace & waffle pads?

I appreciate your responses kinda suprised more people have jumped on this thread.

My car Black SS is pretty well dialed in using Zano as a topper. I done alot under the hood this winter headers, cam, intake, TB so I do need to work on the fenders, plan to give her the Menzerna twins.

The other types of cars I play around with are for friends and there usually had a life of being run though a car wash waxed once a year pretty rough.

Thanks again for your help
Old 01-15-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

if im using ip/fp with a rotory ill use the megs yellow and the cma white pad for FPII.
ive never tried sonus pads concave pads are good for vehicles w/curves like porsches but they produce less splatter. You can use the concave pads for anything i,e polishing, finishing, sealing and so on. Ive never use the waffle buffing pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotary buffer, need tips ??