Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steam cleaning the motor/motor compartment...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam cleaning the motor/motor compartment...

How much does it cost to get the motor steam cleaned? My motor is dirty/dusty and I don't feel like detailing it. Where can I go to get it steam cleaned like they look when you buy a car used from a dealer? Can any detail shop do it? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Probably not a good idea. You've got a lot of electrical components under the hood, especially important is the PCM. Steam has a way of getting into places running water can't. I really wanted to do this, buy I was worried about screwing something up electrical.

A good engine degreaser and some CD2 detailing spray, and you'll be just fine. BTW, when you detail your engine, you always want to cover up anything electrical you can and use only free flowing running water. Don't spray water in there.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Teching In

I normally charge about $20 to detail a customer engine bay.

Like kpowr mentioned, you may have sensitive engine electronics you need to cover up before attempting such task. Steam cleaning isn't really necessary, I usually just run the engine for a couple seconds (if it's still cold), spray degreaser on, then user my 2300psi pressure washer to clean everything off. Right afterwards, I dress the engine bay/hood insulation with engine bay dressing.

I do believe that consitutes the look you were describing when buying a used vehicle.

Hope this helps.

- Dustin
Old 02-04-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

When I bought my SS, the dealer sprayed some kind of detaiing junk all over the engine & hoses. All it did was collect dirt and it took me weeks to get it all off. I don't use anything on my engine bay now except water & Simple Green. I also dry everything real well. If it gets dusty, I just light spray water then blow dry with a leaf blower.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought dealers steam cleaned the engine on used cars to get that clean look. By the way what's CD2 detailing spray?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:12 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CD-2 Engine Detailing:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...85503?v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...85503?v=glance

Apparently it can also be found at some K-Mart, Target, and Pep-Boys stores.

Quick Reply: Steam cleaning the motor/motor compartment...