Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Question about spraying spray paint. Paint wrinkles as it dries. ????

Old 02-18-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about spraying spray paint. Paint wrinkles as it dries. ????

I was painting my fuel rail and sprayed a few coats and let it dry. looked good. I had a run, so I lightly sanded this area and touched it up. The paint started to wrinkle after I touched up the problem area. What would cause this to happen? The temp. was 65 and low humidity. It seems like when you spray over dry/semi dry paint this happens.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

might not have been completely dry yet before you added the touchup spot so just sand that area again and make sure its clean and plenty dry before you spray.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

yep, you sprayed the 2nd coat before the first one was completely dry. Paint emits fumes as it dries, and if you spray on top of it too early those fumes can't escape properly. This causes the wrinkles.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Banned

Sounds like you were spraying enamel paint. The wrinkling you were getting is caused from you applying too much paint at once. You have to use several light coats until you have a full coverage. Meaning, spray your first light coat on, but not cover it totally. Also, there is a window as to when to spray another coat on. As soon as the gloss from the first coat begins to dull, doesn`t have that wet paint look anymore, then it`s time to spray another coat on. It`s called letting the paint tack up for next coat.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Restricted User

It could be alot of things actually. The above ideas are all possibilities. Was it straight wrinkles or what they call "alligator skin" (looks scaley)? Certain paints, especially enamels, have a re-coat "window". generally between 30 minutes to about 8 hours, you can recoat with no problems, however beyond 8 hours you have to wait for the paint to fully cure (which could be anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days) before you can safely re-coat. I know for a fact DuPont's enamels are exactly that way.

Again, that's just another possible explanation.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
It could be alot of things actually. The above ideas are all possibilities. Was it straight wrinkles or what they call "alligator skin" (looks scaley)? Certain paints, especially enamels, have a re-coat "window". generally between 30 minutes to about 8 hours, you can recoat with no problems, however beyond 8 hours you have to wait for the paint to fully cure (which could be anywhere from 24 hours to 5 days) before you can safely re-coat. I know for a fact DuPont's enamels are exactly that way.

Again, that's just another possible explanation.

Listen to Blakbird24, as many common "Spray Paints" like Plasticoat or Duplicolor will only have a 1hr recoat time then you must let the paint completely dry or you will get "Wrinkles". So you must spray several light coats within that first hour.

To help the paint flash between these quick coats I "Gently" use a heat gun to speed it up then I can shoot my next light coat in just a few minutes.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

If you let the paint completely dry, then you`ll have to sand the paint to put another coat on. I`ve been around auto restoration my whole life, so I have a little experience in this stuff.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by makoshark
If you let the paint completely dry, then you`ll have to sand the paint to put another coat on. I`ve been around auto restoration my whole life, so I have a little experience in this stuff.

uh oh better get mako

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about spraying spray paint. Paint wrinkles as it dries. ????