Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlights getting that funky frosty look.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlights getting that funky frosty look.

My headlights are getting that funky look to them, they are starting to go from clear to frosty colored. Its on the outside of the lenes, it looks like there are a thousand little stress cracks in them. Is there any sort of polish I could use to restore them? Or would I be waisting my time and just save up for some new headlights?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
My headlights are getting that funky look to them, they are starting to go from clear to frosty colored. Its on the outside of the lenes, it looks like there are a thousand little stress cracks in them. Is there any sort of polish I could use to restore them? Or would I be waisting my time and just save up for some new headlights?
If you do a search of this web forum, you may be able to pull up a few suggestions or "How To's" on this.
Here is one link that i've found for ya.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...lish+headlight
Old 03-10-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the writeup that I did, mine were in terrible condition:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...llow+headlight
Old 03-10-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1 Sounds, great writeup. Luckily my lights aren't that ugly. I just ordered some Novus polish.
For wetsanding, all you do is get a spray bottle and wet the light down, then sand, right? When it starts to dry out, just wet it again, right?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that should work... I removed my headlights from the car and took them to the kitchen sink since I had so much sanding to do. I kept a slow trickle of water going during the sanding. Mine were in TERRIBLE shape though...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

So all the grime and filmy **** is outside the lite? What I'm askin is did you have to polish the inside of the lite at all? Are the lights pretty sealed, I want to do this especially if all you have to hit is the outside.. My lights look exactly like the pic you posted LS1sounds.....Be nice to get them clean again.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

All of the work that I did was to the outside of the light. The lights are sealed with something similar to black RTV, you can get them open by baking in an oven at low temp for a little while to soften the seal. Carefully pry them apart with a butter knife or something if you need to get inside for cleaning or doing the smoked headlight mod or something.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

If my lights look like yours in the pic you had posted, do you think they will clean up? I didnt wanna try to open them up just now. Thanx for the help
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, they should... mine did. I would do the outside first. If that doesn't help them out, then worry about opening them up at that point.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Here's the writeup that I did, mine were in terrible condition:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...llow+headlight
LS1Sounds, we had chatted a while ago about this same subject, well I'm just now getting around to doing it. Let me ask you, I started wetsanding with 800grit and I've noticed the light getting worse than before, should this happen? Should it look a bit worse before it gets better? I stopped cause I didn't want to make my light even worse.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pailheadz28
LS1Sounds, we had chatted a while ago about this same subject, well I'm just now getting around to doing it. Let me ask you, I started wetsanding with 800grit and I've noticed the light getting worse than before, should this happen? Should it look a bit worse before it gets better? I stopped cause I didn't want to make my light even worse.

Thanks
Yes, it will start looking very hazey, but the haze will turn white as you remove the yellowed layer of plastic that's on the top. After you get any scratches and cracks smooth and you have the white haze, start working with finer grits of sandpaper until you get to at least 2,000 grit. The Novus polishes can polish out this very fine haze on your lights. It won't look clear and shiny again until you start using the polishes though. Here are some examples:

The left half is untouched, the right half is sanded with 400 grit:

I think this was after sanding with 1,500 grit:

The left half is sanded with 1,500 grit, the right half is after the roughest of the 3 polishes:

Final product after all 3 steps of polishing:
Old 03-11-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

those look great man, i need to do mine sometime, i got all the sandpaper, now i just need the polishes. nice work and write-up, thanks!

edit: i didnt know the polish was that cheap, ordered mine. i think it was $15 shipped. i spent more than that trying other stuff that hasnt worked.

Last edited by abadss; 03-11-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you want to do it real easy.....put some sort of polish on them that you would use to buff the car, speed glaze of some sort....

Use a buffer, and thats it.....takes 20 seconds a piece.....
Old 03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should it look a bit worse before it gets better? I stopped cause I didn't want to make my light even worse.
lol i thought that was kinda funny....you start tryin to sand and it looks like ***.....Kinda makes you wonder if your doin something wrong... But the final pictures are worth it... I would of wondered the same thing this weekend had he not said something.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
lol i thought that was kinda funny....you start tryin to sand and it looks like ***.....Kinda makes you wonder if your doin something wrong... But the final pictures are worth it... I would of wondered the same thing this weekend had he not said something.
Yeah.. I started thinking hell I just screwed up my light even worse, now I have to spend the money for a new one and that would've sucked.

Gonna get back on it this weekend....

Quick Reply: Headlights getting that funky frosty look.