Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting interior trim suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting interior trim suggestions

im going to paint some of my interior trim pieces soon, but i don't have very much experience with painting. i will probabl sand them down with a dremel or hand block. any suggestions on what black to use and what grit to sand with in between coats. how much clear etc. i want a gloss black to go along with the CF im getting the rest of the pieces covered in. thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
im going to paint some of my interior trim pieces soon, but i don't have very much experience with painting. i will probabl sand them down with a dremel or hand block. any suggestions on what black to use and what grit to sand with in between coats. how much clear etc. i want a gloss black to go along with the CF im getting the rest of the pieces covered in. thanks
I would only hand sand them and it wont take a lot of grit to scuff them. I did mine and used 1500 between coats and shot 2 coats of clear and then used 2000 for a smooth finish coat
Old 03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks. i already have 100, 300, and 600 grit sand paper from sanding down my FAST intake, so that should work for the panels.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Baltimore Whore

I wouldn't sand them complety smooth keep them a lil rough so the primer can hold to them.Defenetly use a hand block and after you paint and clear them sand it out with 2000.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

where do yall get paint from? i can't find duplicolor or anything decent anywhere. do i have to worry about the paint coming off from the panel flexing? i know with automotive paint you have to use a flex agent in the primer. thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The plastic doesn't flex enough to warrant adding a flex agent. Just be sure to use a plastic adhesion promoter...I used the one from DupliColor.
I sanded my plastic down by hand to remove all the dimples. Then I painted them using 3 color coats and three clear coats. I didn't sand in between coats...just waited for them to get tacky. The third coat of color was a "wet" coat (heavy enough to look wet, but not enough to run), which I allowed to dry for 24 hours. Then the third coat of the clear was a "wet" coat. Using this method almost completely eliminates the need to wet sand and buff the pieces. They look like glass...I didn't see the need to put any more work into them.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks, but what store do u get ur duplicolor at?

Quick Reply: painting interior trim suggestions