Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it bad to wash my car too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to wash my car too much?

I live in a very sandy/dusty area and my car literally gets dirty just driving from the car wash back home. I wash it about 2-3 times a week, using the high rinse first, then the bubble brush, then the high rinse again. Can washing my car so often damage the clear coat/paint?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:03 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not if you use microfiber cloths etc. Using that grimy *** bubble brush will create some mean scratches/swirl marks in your paint though. Sounds like you're using a quarter car wash. High rinse first, high pressure soap second, high pressure rinse again, and dry it off with a couple micro fiber cloths.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Not really, as long as you're not inducing scratches/swirls with your technique.

You need to use actual car wash soap, too. If you're using dish soap all the time, yes, it can start messing up the clear.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

The more you touch your car, the more chance you have of marring, swirling, etc. If you are using a car wash brush, you are probably doing a good deal of damage.

The more you wash your car, the faster it degrades the protection of your wax/sealant, but if you are using the car wash chemicals on your car, you probably don't have any protection in the first place.

I understand your predicament, because I live in a very dusty/dirty area also. You have to use high quality supplies and a very good technique to properly maintain your finish.

If you didn't catch my drift, STAY AWAY FROM DYI CAR WASHES!

Start by learning the proper technique for washing/drying your car: http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-wash.html
Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the info, I'll definantly stay away from the quarter car wash from now on!
ZaneO, what kind of wax do you find is the best for not attracting dust?
Old 03-20-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Around here, it seems like everything is pretty equal as far as dust attraction. Typically, sealants should attract less dust than carnauba wax.

One of the keys is inducing as little static as possible. Don't dry your towels on high heat, use a QD after drying, etc.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

jus wax your car alot, i wash my car 2-3 times a week, wax the car every month, with 100% carnuba wax every 3rd month
Old 03-20-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cahill93Z28
jus wax your car alot, i wash my car 2-3 times a week, wax the car every month, with 100% carnuba wax every 3rd month
same ....its a 99 and i get asked all the time if its a 2002 ....gotta keep it protected

Quick Reply: Is it bad to wash my car too much?