Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

A little info on peeling window tint on doors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little info on peeling window tint on doors...

i dont know if this was already very well known, but i have been tinting windows for years now and i have seen these instances where the tint peels and it is due to something inside the door. well i just get me camaro and it has a shitty tint job on it already but it also has the peeling problem. So today i took the panel off and found that the problem is the gold stabilizer on the top of the door. this part was inexpensive and fixed the problem. SO if they is anyone else in here who is experiencing this problem go to a dealership and pick up part number...GM# 10257988. it costed me 7.15 each.

Like i said i tint windows and i plan to redo my car and perfection is the only option, therefore i had to get it fixed.

Louie
Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Mine does this too, do you replace the piece or is this a cover? Please explain!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem that I have is there is something inside both doors that leaves two scratches from top to bottom on my tints.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by half-n-half
i dont know if this was already very well known, but i have been tinting windows for years now and i have seen these instances where the tint peels and it is due to something inside the door. well i just get me camaro and it has a shitty tint job on it already but it also has the peeling problem. So today i took the panel off and found that the problem is the gold stabilizer on the top of the door. this part was inexpensive and fixed the problem. SO if they is anyone else in here who is experiencing this problem go to a dealership and pick up part number...GM# 10257988. it costed me 7.15 each.

Like i said i tint windows and i plan to redo my car and perfection is the only option, therefore i had to get it fixed.

Louie
Hey what are some options to get rid of the tint not sticking to the dot matrix at the top?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

I had my tint guy lay black vinyl over the dots, then limo tint. the back window looks great- no dots. Other methods are to paint them
with flat black enamel, or i've heard that sanding them down with fine sandpaper can cause the tint to stick to them.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a very common thing. Happens to other cars too. I'm surprised you haven't run across it before if you tint windows.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess its just luck, but my black dots on the back hatch have had a one piece tint on it since 98 with no bubbles ect.