Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone found a fix for leaky PS, PB caps?

Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone found a fix for leaky PS, PB caps?

The power steering and power brake caps all have a vent in them that causes small amounts of fluid to get by after a while. It's very annoying. Has anyone found a way to keep these from leaking?

I figure the guys who compete in shows might have a fix.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone at all?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just clean it up at every show. I feel the same way though . . .
Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm working on a pretty simple solution. I bought some nice blue carwash towels ($4), cut out a big circle, wrapped it around the cap and slipped a rubber band around it. I think I did about a 6" circle for the PS and an 8" for the brake. It looks so much nicer now. No more fluid spilling.

The brake was the easiest and as long as the brake fluid doesn't eat into the rubber band, it should last a nice long time.

The PS was a big more involved. First I bought a new cap and seal for about $6 at autozone, then I grinded the underside lip of the cap about an 3/16" all around. Cleaned it up and stuck it on. Removing some of the lip will allow the cloth material to be pulled under the lip by the rubber band and basically hide the rubber band so it looks nice.

The brake cap already has a nice gap under the cap so you don't have to do anything to it.

The only thing that may be a problem is that the PS cap gets extremely hot. After about a week I checked it out and the rubber band (2 big ones) were weakened. One broke when I removed it, so I think the heat cycles are the cause.

I need to find a better clamping method. Can anyone think of something that would work?
Keep in mind you need something that can be loosened, so a zip tie won't work unless you want to put a new one on everytime you take the cap off.

A tip if you want to try it. Find a nice dark color as it will hide any stains. I found a nice dark blue terry cloth towel set at Pepboys. I can make 6 covers from the 2 rags. If it is thick, you can use a single layer, if you use a thin rag, you may need to cut out 2 circles and layer them.

If anyone wants, I can take a picture so you can see what they look like. Might take me a while to borrow a camera, though.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a fix but more of a band aid to reduce the mess, the scrunchy mod. Yes, girls hair scrunchies. They help keep the oil from getting everywhere, but still let the cap vent. Just get the black ones with no ruffles, and most people won't even notice they're there.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not going to use those on principle.

I consider mine a fix. I just need to find a fastner that won't be effected by heat.

Mine cover the whole top of the cap and look damn nice, too.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldnt really completely understand how you did that from the explanation, do you have any pics?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6 Kid
I couldnt really completely understand how you did that from the explanation, do you have any pics?

Thanks
I don't have a camera, I'd need to borrow one.

It's pretty basic. You cut a circle out of some good material about 3" larger than the cap you want to put it on. If you are not sure, cut it a bit larger and then trim it down if you need too. Center the material and then put the rubber band over the top and then roll it down so that the rubber band will grab the extra material and pull it up under the cap, thereby hiding the rubber band. The material is stretched tight over the top of the cap.

As you can see I started this thread quite a while ago. I just got tired of cleaning the spilt fluid, so I recently grabbed some shop rags and cut one up. It looked pretty good and worked well. Later on I decided to replace the rag material with some dark blue material. Looks pretty sweet.

A matching color rubber band would hide it better and would work great on the brake cover, but the PS needs something that can take the heat.

If you look at some of the tuner cars over in Japan you will see they use these sock boot things in bright colors. That's basically were I got my idea, but I don't like bright colors or spending $30 for one.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

has anyone tried to put a breather on it maybe?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

God no, that's the last thing you would want. Fluid would be all over the place. Both of the caps are already vented, BTW.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-01-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, it took me a month, but I finally got some pics to post.

Even if you don't like the color or the way they look, the main thing is what you don't see. Fluid all over the parts.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone found a fix for leaky PS, PB caps?-cap-covers-1.jpg   Anyone found a fix for leaky PS, PB caps?-cap-covers-2.jpg   Anyone found a fix for leaky PS, PB caps?-cap-covers-3.jpg  
Old 10-01-2005, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

too much hassle. I think I would rather just clean it every once in a while.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, I can't believe you think cleaning them is not a hassle. Then you have to do it over and over. I guess if you clean it about once a year it might not be worth it, but I like to keep my stuff clean.

Like I said, you cut a circle out of material and then use rubber bands to hold it in place. Not that big a deal in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell ya one thing..you ndont want to take out he ruber gasket inside the top..I did..just to clea it up..thinking that if i ucould clean it up a bit it might not leak a s much....The rubber goodie would never go back in....I ended up paying.....wait fro it.....

$20 bucks to get a new cap....its a 18 buck part....BTW I use a scrunchy on my motorcycle front brake MC fro exactle the same reason..works great
Old 10-02-2005, 05:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did pull out the rubber seal a few months back and it never would fit back in there right. I had to trim it to fit it back in. Then I didn't feel good about keeping the trimmed seal so I got a new cap from Autozone for about $5.

Where did you have to pay $20 from, the dealer?

I just don't like the idea of using a girls hair product on my car, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Do they make a "manly" looking scrunchy?

I believe the PS cap has vents that let the fluid out of the top of the cap, does the scrunchy keep it clean?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 bucks...you suck! yep the dealer..
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

just an fyi, if it leaks enough and slings onto the belt...... it makes for one hell of a mess.
and will eat paint (turn it pink on a nbm car) on the hood...

Old 12-24-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

3 months and no problems. I figured the rubber band on the PS pump would fail due to the high heat, but it's still working. None of the fluid has shown up either. I figured it would stain after a while, but no.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone found a fix for leaky PS, PB caps?