Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to and how hard to put gauges in vents above stereo? any pics also?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to and how hard to put gauges in vents above stereo? any pics also?

how easy is it to put gauges in the 3 vents above the stereo? i was just curious! need another option as opposed to using a gauge pod!
thanks!
Old 04-03-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mr.BigE,

I did this on my 94 Formula, I bought a Kit somewhere, and that made it relatively easy. I am sure you could do it without the kit though. Just take the vents out-they pop out, mount your hardware in the holes and attach the guage to the hardware. I also mounted some pop-up guages in the center console, I liked those better. The downside to mounting them in the center console is that you can't moniter them all the time. It all depends on what guages you are using and your personal preferences.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

One more Idea if you have a hardtop is to mount them in the roof on the headliner. I am sure it would be a little tricky/complicated, but it would be unique.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02transhawk
Mr.BigE,

I did this on my 94 Formula, I bought a Kit somewhere, and that made it relatively easy. I am sure you could do it without the kit though. Just take the vents out-they pop out, mount your hardware in the holes and attach the guage to the hardware. I also mounted some pop-up guages in the center console, I liked those better. The downside to mounting them in the center console is that you can't moniter them all the time. It all depends on what guages you are using and your personal preferences.
Thanks, i thinki am gonna try it! should i clog the tube behind the vent so the gauge does not get real cold or hot from heater or air conditioner? is it easy getting the wire through also? and if there is a kit where can i get it ?
Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am not sure where I got the kit, the speedshop I used to frequent (closed down) ordered it outta one of their catalogs. You may try Autometer, they seem to have the most accessories for the guages. I had to cut holes in the vents, run the wires behind the radio and out the side...if you can install a stereo, you can do this. In fact, once you get the guages, I bet it would be pretty easy and cheaper (The kit I got was like 50bucks) to make the kit yourself. Just toy with it. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Dynotune one's not too obvious... and i made my own mount to make it seems more OEM and not stick out like others I've seen
Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SVC707

I like the Dynotune one's not too obvious... and i made my own mount to make it seems more OEM and not stick out like others I've seen
can you tell me how you made it like that?
thanks!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

First took out the vent then made a template and transfered the temoplate i made to some abs plastic. hot glue gunned the abs to the ring of the vent and there you have it.. id say it took me a good hour to make it
Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

did yall block off the vemt before installing the gauge? my heater and ac are used on full blast regulary, and wouldn't want to damage a gauge
Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

didnt block it off but easy to pull out another vent the gauge is digital anyways so there isnt any fluid like some other gauges
Old 04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

use the 2 5/8 guages and they fit right in with no modifacations