Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Recommendations for Clear Repair? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommendations for Clear Repair? (Pics)

As some of you guys here on the East Coast probably know... we had some heavy winds today and unfortunately my car was a victim I know the paint is pretty dirty as is... it's been pretty much a DD during the winter time so it was going to get some TLC this week anyways

I have my car up on jackstands for some Spring modding and a swing that was placed on its side on the ground about 7 feet away and 3 foot below (car is on a concrete pad) got caught up in a HUGE gust of wind which lifted the swing upright, cleared the 3 foot dropoff and slammed in to the front of my car... the impact was hard enough to set my car alarm off.

One good thing I suppose is good is that the scratches are not really deep enough to be felt, there is some roughness of course but my fingernail passes over them without finding any deep scratches in to the base.

I tried rubbing it with my finger and a terry cloth but no luck. Just looking to get some input from you guys on what I should try to do to cover up the defect as much as possible. I have the AutoFair event in Charlotte, NC coming up this weekend so I don't believe I'd have enough time to have it repaired professionally. Mainly looking for ideas on how I can make it as less noticeable as possible for the show.

Perhaps a clay bar could possibly lift some of the defect up? The part of the swing that hit the car was plastic thankfully so I'm thinking that maybe the "scratches" I'm seeing is really marks from the plastic rubbing against the clear hard.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those will probably mostly polish out. Take it to a body shop and ask if they'll polish it.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I had some similar ones once:
1. Wash
2. Clay
3. Buff by hand with 3M Perfect-It II
4. Meguiars Polish (Deep Crystal System -- Step 2 -- red bottle)
5. Mequiars ColorX (optional)
6. Meguiars NXT (wax)

NOTE: Use a different soft terry-cloth coverd foam applicator for each compound and wipe off with micro-fiber towels.

The polish and wax are up to you. Those are what I use.

Those look a bit deeper than what I had. It might be dirt though. Just be careful not to buff though the clear. 3M Perfect-It II is a fine cut rubbing compound. It should remove those light sratches.

Here is what I do for paint chips:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=paint

Last edited by VIP1; 04-04-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can try using a rotory buffer to remove them. They should atleast lighten up if then your still not stisfied id try and get someone to wetsand that area and you "should" be fine. If you hit it with 2500 or 3500 grit you should be ok.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

2500-3500? Never seen that.

We wet sand with 2000 and polish. I bet most of that would come out with just some highspeed polishing.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup it goes up to 12k, but you can get the 2500 & 3500 from meguiars.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Clear Repair? (Pics)