Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

clay bar question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clay bar question

what the hell is a clay bar and what is it used for ...... forgive me if i sound stupid....... scott
Old 04-14-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blackbirdls1
what the hell is a clay bar and what is it used for ...... forgive me if i sound stupid....... scott
Clay bar is just that, a bar of clay. When you glide it over your paint with lubricant, it removes impurities from the paint. Check out this link...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...C&Store_Code=Z
Old 04-14-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well worth it. It make your paint look and feel smooth. I do my car every 6 months. It also gets off all the bugs
Old 04-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

ok so let me get this right first i was my car then dry it and then use the clay bar kinda like wax then wipe off the areas and then wash it again and wax it ....???????/
Old 04-14-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blackbirdls1
ok so let me get this right first i was my car then dry it and then use the clay bar kinda like wax then wipe off the areas and then wash it again and wax it ....???????/
From the Zaino web-site:

Before using a ClayBar on your car, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant.

To use the clay bar, you spray a water-based lubricant on a small area of your car and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. ClayBar should glide across your paint like a hockey puck on ice. If the lubricant begins to dry, and the ClayBar begins to drag, you'll need to spray more lubricant. Clay is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry.

After a few passes with the ClayBar, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terrycloth towel, and buff to a nice luster. Just like waxing, work in small areas.

Check your ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your car's paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it's history. Toss it out. Don't take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit. Read the manufacturers' directions for the number of uses of their clay bar. Do not overuse a clay bar.

When you're finished claying your car, you should wash it to remove the lubricant film. Finally, polish and seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssPetess
From the Zaino web-site:

Before using a ClayBar on your car, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant.

To use the clay bar, you spray a water-based lubricant on a small area of your car and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. ClayBar should glide across your paint like a hockey puck on ice. If the lubricant begins to dry, and the ClayBar begins to drag, you'll need to spray more lubricant. Clay is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry.

After a few passes with the ClayBar, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terrycloth towel, and buff to a nice luster. Just like waxing, work in small areas.

Check your ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your car's paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it's history. Toss it out. Don't take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit. Read the manufacturers' directions for the number of uses of their clay bar. Do not overuse a clay bar.

When you're finished claying your car, you should wash it to remove the lubricant film. Finally, polish and seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes.
Thats exactly what you do.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is a polish the same as a wax
Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its a good idea to wash, wash w/ dawn, clay, wash, polish, wax. That's what I like to do at least once a year.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

thank you guys for replying to my help add i bought the clay bar today im going to try it hope all goes well ............. once again thank you

Quick Reply: clay bar question