Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Well Sh*t... SLP CME valence falling already

Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Well Sh*t... SLP CME valence falling already

I installed the CME valance about 5 days ago. We cleaned the bumper and inside of the valance with PPG paint and clear safe cleaner to remove all build ups and wax. Sprayed adhesive promoter on the bumper and valance. Let set up. Then applied the 3m tape.

Well.. as I said in the topic. Its starting to fall already above the CME tip and starting to head for the corner of the car on the driver side. WTF do I use that will work to hold this pain in the rear up?! Permanantly!

Thanks
Brandon
Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

i suggest usingsome plastic weld. it can be foundat most parts stores such as autozone or advanced auto. i used this to hold my w/w front valence on and it hasheld for a year with speeds up to 120mph.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

I thought about using something like that but.. what if for some reason the rear valence got damaged by something? Then that would pretty much ruin the bumper as well.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

yeah you have very valid point there, but i had tried numerous times with tapes and adhesion promoter on my valence with no luck. my only othersuggestion would be to find somewhere under the car where you could screw it into place and no one would see the screw. this should work effectively in conjunction with the tape.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just cut your losses and sell it to me cheap
Old 04-19-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Haha.. you're insane! This exhaust cost too damn much Roughly $1400 if you count it all... Hooker stuff ALL COATED headers, ory, catback, SLP 90s, SLP CME dual tip & SLP CME valence(those 4 SLP pieces are $460 alone.)

**shrug** I love it

Nice try though
Old 04-19-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I also went with the CME and the damn thing is a PITA to install! I have it on but will take it off and redo the damn thing. Did you use the thicker tape where it meets the bumper or the thinner?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Thicker tape on the rear, thinner on the sides. I've researched the hell out of it and thats what I found to do. I did a decent job getting it installed. But too bad its falling already
Old 04-19-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about just using some metal clips around the inside edge?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

not sure how that will work. There is no place to screw it in or clip. Time to draw up a sketch......
ok done... attached is the sketch. There are 3 push in on the valence. One in the dead center, and one on each end. No other places have tabs to where you could put one. I thought about maybe plasti-welding on some new "tabs" and then drilling and using more push pins to help support it.
Attached Thumbnails Well Sh*t... SLP CME valence falling already-valence.jpg  
Old 04-19-2005, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to your local auto parts & buy some 3m clear plastic & emblem adhesive. Its strong but not strong enough to hurt your bumper, or valance. I put mine on with this stuff about a year ago & it never fell or sagged. I pulled it off a month ago & it didnt scratch, or pull the paint off the bumper. The adhesive once it dries is like plastic, you can even peel it off like plastic. Plus it doesnt leave any seems either. The hell with the cheap *** double sided tape. I never even took mine out of the pack. Ive never had any luck with that crap no matter how I do it.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it should have come with some clips.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There should be three pine cone fasteners holding it up. One centered under the license plate, (pointing up) and one in each wheel well behind the rear tire, (pointing to the rear. The tape just holds up the corners.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

In reply to the 2 posts above....

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
There are 3 push in on the valence. One in the dead center, and one on each end. No other places have tabs to where you could put one. I thought about maybe plasti-welding on some new "tabs" and then drilling and using more push pins to help support it.
My post... 2 posts above yours. Of course its not falling where the push ins are.

Thanks for the tip on the clear 3m stuff 99.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WICKED SS
I also went with the CME and the damn thing is a PITA to install! I have it on but will take it off and redo the damn thing.
I, too, have it on right now, but it looks like crap. There are large gaps where the tape shows through. We're going to pull it back off and try thinner tape or the 3M adhesive...if we go tape, I'm going to "color" the edges with a black sharpie so that the tape isn't as noticable...
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your problems with the CME valance as it has just the perfect look to finish off the back of a Camaro IMO. I really don't have any other advice to give you but just some info............. all I did was use some denatured alcohol to clean the mounting areas first and then trial fitted the valance to the bumper holding it in place with some blue painters tape and the pine tree clips. Then I looked to see if I needed the thick or thin tape to take up the gap that was left between the bumper and valance.

I believe I used the thicker tape and it fit great. With this method it has been on my car for 2 years and 10,000 miles w/o any problems so I wouldn't give up on the tape just yet. The sound of using a glue type product just scares the hell out of me.

Good Luck!!

Old 04-20-2005, 03:53 AM
TECH Resident

Thats pretty much what I tried. I cleaned all contact areas with PPG cleaner(like thinner but safe) that is usually used to clean off primer or a coat of paint before the next. It removes ALL oils and waxes. I sprayed a 3m adhesive promotor on the bumper areas and the entire rim of the valence. Then I put on the tape.

The tape started to fail almost even with the side of the driver side tip. From there it has started to fall more and pulling away towards the driver corner.

Can one of you guys/gals that have the CME get a close up pic of the side where it meets the bumper? mine looks like it is impossible to get "seamless" on the sides b/c when you push the pine tree in to hold it up it overlaps the bumper a little on the sides.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well Sh*t... SLP CME valence falling already