Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions on Raptor Hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Raptor Hood

I was looking at getting the SLP HO hood but i have changed my mind and am gonna get the Raptor hood anything i should know before buying ?? do the fit well ?? what should i be looking to pay for one ?? anyone no where the best deal might be ??

any info would be great thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned

i cant say much for fitment as i dont have one but from what i have read its like every other aftermarket hood, sometimes it fits sometimes it doesnt. but as soon as i get some cash im puttin one on the bird.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never had one, but I' ve heard some horror stories about Suncoast. I saw one in TN once, and it' s fitment sucked. This hood also replaced another Raptor hood, that de-laminated while on the interstate. I' ve also seen a pretty bad fitting SS hood by Suncoast. Maybe they' ve improved, maybe not.

Pretty much any fiberglass hood is going to have fitment issues, so make sure you find a good body shop.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

my brother had a Suncoast hood on his 2000 TA 3 years ago. it fit perfectly. i guess you just gotta get lucky
Old 04-21-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a raptor hood on my 99 ta and its been on there for over 3 years. where it meets up with the drivers side headlight was alittle high...but not a noticably big gap...but i have a navy blue car so i think it helps hide it. havent had any problems though, take the car over 100 alot and hasnt fallen apart, just make sure to get their matching airbox if you get their hood.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

its an ok hood in my opinion i like the ws6 hood better not the ws9 tho and them really cheap ones on ebay hahha funny theyr huge nostrols look funny as hell
Old 04-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Launching!

I know a guy who has a Raptor hood on his white T/A, and it looks great! I plan to get one eventually.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

http://www.mtfba.org/forum/images/up...sh99ta/597.jpg

http://www.mtfba.org/forum/images/up...sh99ta/598.jpg

See the link in the signature for more pictures to see how mine fits. Let me preface this by saying that while it was a PITA on mine because I had wrecked the car and it sat in a body shop, waiting the weeks it took for mine to come in would have been much easier had my car not been my daily driver at the time, or stuck in the body shop waiting on the hood to get it back on the road. If I had it to do all over again, I would, because I think the Raptor hood is the best looking aftermarket hood for these cars (more aggressive than the Firehawk hood due to slightly bigger nostrils, but not over the top like the SLP HO hood). So here we go...

I've got the hood. Fitment is hit or miss it seems. Mine is decent I'd say, and most people never notice the few spots it doesn't line up at. Near the rear, the two back corners are a little lower than the fenders. On the front, there is a slight bit more gap between the headlight covers and the hood than I'd like, but nothing too extreme. It also rubs right in the middle where it meets the front bumper, but you only see the missing paint when the hood is open. Other than that, after some adjusting and tweaking I got it to line up pretty darn good IMO.

Let me advise, either get the shop to bake the heck out of it BEFORE painting it or put it on the car and drive around for a few weeks to make sure all the air bubbles have risen out of it. I had mine painted right away, and had to have it redone because of air pockets rising up once it had been out in the sun.

Suncoast was also a major pain to deal with IMO. My hood was always "the next one in line" or "going out tomorrow." My car sat in the body shop for OVER a month before the hood ever got there. After the hood bubbled up though after the first paint, at least Suncoast covered the cost of having it repainted, as well as gave me their $300 airbox for free basically.

Originally Posted by LoSt1
Never had one, but I' ve heard some horror stories about Suncoast. I saw one in TN once, and it' s fitment sucked. This hood also replaced another Raptor hood, that de-laminated while on the interstate. I' ve also seen a pretty bad fitting SS hood by Suncoast. Maybe they' ve improved, maybe not.

Pretty much any fiberglass hood is going to have fitment issues, so make sure you find a good body shop.
Matt, I remember meeting you and I'm sure you saw my car (although you may have forgotten). Not sure if you're talking about mine or not, but there are a few cars running around with the Raptor hood around here (my red one, a black one, a blue one, and a white one). I'm guessing you aren't talking about mine because mine never delaminated or anything.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1POWER98
its an ok hood in my opinion i like the ws6 hood better not the ws9 tho and them really cheap ones on ebay hahha funny theyr huge nostrols look funny as hell
What did you say? Please use some commas (,) and a little punctuation.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Anybody know where to find a good deal ??
best price i have seen so far is on ebay 795 plus 95 shipping
Old 04-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Shipping is going to run you $75 minimum for freight. $95 isn't bad, I wouldn't pay over $100. Personally I like to cut out the middle man. I got mine on sale for $895 from Suncoast two years back (was $1095 at the time), but their customer service wasn't the best (although they did always pick up the phone). If you find one on ebay that means the person has it right then and there, so that would be your best option.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Raptor Hood